Uk Gum Paste

Decorating By melonball Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm by Rosiepan

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:11am
post #1 of 15

Hi all uk-ers

Having not used gum paste/ Mexican paste etc I need to make a figure and was thinking this would be a good time to try it!
So
Which type do u recommend?
Where do you get it from and how much does it cost?
How does it look when it's dried? The fondant I use always looks dull when dry?

And lastly any tips?

Thanks happy cakeing

14 replies
ragdollyanna77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ragdollyanna77 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:25am
post #2 of 15

Hi melonball, i've made only a few figures etc but i always use 50% gum paste and 50% fondant mixed together, it doesnt dry out so quick and gives you more time to work with it, i always put a teeny tiny bit of lard on my hands too as this helps.
Im lucky enough to have a cake supply shops quite near but i also buy from windsor cake craft. They seem to have the cheapest p&p as its quite heavy, this can be expensive. I always use squires kitchen brand.

hope that helps a little. icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:29am
post #3 of 15

I make my own. The recipe is here: http://creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/making-gum-paste.html

I use 2 tbsp of tylose rather that the 3 she suggests you can put in. It is easy to make and great to use. I use it mainly for my cricut but it is great for modelling with.

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I make my own. The recipe is here: http://creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/making-gum-paste.html

I use 2 tbsp of tylose rather that the 3 she suggests you can put in. It is easy to make and great to use. I use it mainly for my but it is great for modelling with.

Hi LisaPeps - what do you use as a substitute for corn syrup?

Jojoscakes1000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jojoscakes1000 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 15

There is a much easier more convenient recipe that I found here: http://www.designmeacake.com/tgprec.html (If it doesn't work look up designmeacake.com go to recipes then tylose gumpaste.)
I just substitute Crisco for white fat e.g. Trex.
For modelling I use either modelling paste which is sugarpaste (fondant) and tylose powder. Or I just use plain gum paste especially for delicate work like flowerS which is why it is called florist paste in the UK. I buy Squires you can usually get 100g or 200g for around £4 off ebay.
HTHicon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 15

I bought corn syrup from Amazon, but she says on this you tube video

that you can substitute the corn syrup for glucose.

LisaPeps Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoscakes1000

There is a much easier more convenient recipe that I found here: http://www.designmeacake.com/tgprec.html (If it doesn't work look up designmeacake.com go to recipes then tylose gumpaste.)
I just substitute Crisco for white fat e.g. Trex.
For modelling I use either modelling paste which is sugarpaste (fondant) and tylose powder. Or I just use plain gum paste especially for delicate work like flowerS which is why it is called florist paste in the UK. I buy Squires you can usually get 100g or 200g for around £4 off ebay.
HTHicon_smile.gif

That recipe is more like pastillage, which I find is more difficult to use than gumpaste. The gelatin and corn syrup gives the gumpaste more elasticity than pastillage.

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 15

i live in the uk and use a 50 50 sugarpaste and squires flower paste but making your own is realy easy, i use glucose instead of corn syrup and tend to use a bit less tylose than most recipies state, squires is reasonable on e bay but still quite expensive, i also had a lot of success with sugarpaste 1 teaspoon of egg white and knead then 1 teaspoon of tylose then knead then 1 teaspoon of cream of tar tar then knead and 1 teaspoon of trex then knead easy and youll be surprised how good it is hope that helps

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I use 2 tbsp of tylose rather that the 3 she suggests you can put in. It is easy to make and great to use. I use it mainly for my but it is great for modelling with.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think first time I'll buy some ready made, but I do plan to make some one day.
The gelatine in this recipe is it leaf or crystals?

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjobes

i live in the uk and use a 50 50 sugarpaste and squires flower paste but making your own is realy easy, i use glucose instead of corn syrup and tend to use a bit less tylose than most recipies state, squires is reasonable on e bay but still quite expensive, i also had a lot of success with sugarpaste 1 teaspoon of egg white and knead then 1 teaspoon of tylose then knead then 1 teaspoon of cream of tar tar then knead and 1 teaspoon of trex then knead easy and youll be surprised how good it is hope that helps

How much sugarpaste do you add it to?

LisaPeps Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:15am
post #11 of 15

It's crystals, I use the Dr Oetker (sp?) ones.

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:07am
post #12 of 15

LisaPeps - do you use Tylose or substitute CMC?

LisaPeps Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 15

I use tylose

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Quote:

about 250 grams

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Quote:

about 250 grams

thumbs_up.gif Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%