Freezing Cupcakes

Baking By good_cake98 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 12:40am by madcobbler

good_cake98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good_cake98 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:48am
post #1 of 7

What do frozen cupcakes taste like when they thaw? And can you freeze them frosted? How long do they take to defrost? The only frozen cake I remember eating was my wedding cake and that was awful....

6 replies
KylaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylaQ Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 7

I will not freeze a cupcake with icing on it. Just me though, I hate it!

My cupcakes taste wonderful once thawed, but so did my wedding cake after a year in the freezer. It's really how you wrap it up.

For cupcakes, especially ones that will be used for something. Not the extra ones that you have after making a cake. I use a gallon bag, and slid them in it on the counter so they are all flat, and not smashed against each other and put them in my freezer. When it's time to take them out, I take them out of the bag and sit them on the counter for a few hours.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 7

I freeze my cupcake batter, instead of baked cupcakes...they go directly into the oven without thawing and bake 5 minutes longer...that way you never have that 'dried ice' taste...works wonders!!!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

I freeze my cupcakes & freeze my BC, but I have never tried freezing frosted cupcakes
My thawed CCs are delicious & more moist... I take them out of the freezer 2 hours prior to decorating
HTH

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

I freeze my cupcake batter, instead of baked cupcakes...they go directly into the oven without thawing and bake 5 minutes longer...that way you never have that 'dried ice' taste...works wonders!!!

Do you freeze the batter in the paper baking cup???

Jazdeezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazdeezie Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #6 of 7

I used to work at a cupcake bakery and we frosted then froze all cupcakes for the next day. In the morning, we'd take them out and let them thaw. Personally, I think the buttercream suffered from it. On the other hand, we would also bake then freeze various flavors to have stocked. The recipes that used more moisture/oil in the batter held up better.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:40am
post #7 of 7

I freeze uniced cupcakes all the time. I wrap the cupcakes individually with a couple layers of plastic wrap. I then double bag the cupcakes with plastic freezer bags. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Cupcakes that are to be sold I wouldn't freeze for more than 2 weeks to ensure they get the finest product. I don't unwrap the cupcakes until they are completely thawed so they won't dry out. I also like to use a gold or silver foil liner. The plain paper liners get soggy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%