Help Me Decide What Sizes, Please?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 22

I just got a cake order, for a stacked square cake, to feed 40-50 people for a baby shower.

My husband told me I need to use a 9in square and a 6in square (so it can sit at a 45 degree angle)

Are there square pans in 9in sizes? How many servings would I actually get out of these sizes, cut in the "wedding" slice size?

Thank you.

21 replies
Sassy-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy-Cakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #2 of 22

I've never seen a 9" square pan- I'd recommend going with a 10" square.
icon_smile.gif
Hope this helps

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:03am
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

How many servings would I actually get out of these sizes, cut in the "wedding" slice size?

6" square serves 18
9" square serves 40.50
(approx. 58 servings total)

A 6" needs at least 8.49 inches to offset stack on another, so the 9" would work... just barely.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 22

Thank you very much.

A 6in square and a 10in square should look nice together?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 22

There are plenty of 9" square pans out there. I ordered two through Amazon.com. I personally like a 3" difference between tiers for proportions. It gives enough of a ledge between the tiers if you have decorations. Good luck with your cake

TheCakerator Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 22

Thank you southerncross ..

My local cake store only carries 2in deep pans .. I think I could make it look nice by doing a three layer cake, to give it height ..

TheCakerator Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 22

Ok, I'm confused .. on the wilton wedding site it says that a 6in square would only serve 12, and a 10 in square would only serve 30, coming up at 42 ..

CWR41, how did you come up with your serving amount?

I need to give this lady an estimate of how much it will cost but can't seem to figure it out icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 22

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

This chart says a 10in would serve 50.

Personally I'd set the 6in and 10in out together and see how that looks. If it will work, I'd offer that size before I went out and bought an off size pan.

I also believe that Southercross meant a 3in difference in tier size, not pan height.

CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:

Ok, I'm confused .. on the wilton wedding site it says that a 6in square would only serve 12, and a 10 in square would only serve 30, coming up at 42 ..

CWR41, how did you come up with your serving amount?

I need to give this lady an estimate of how much it will cost but can't seem to figure it out icon_cry.gif

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

TheCakerator Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 22

well dang, now I wonder where the wilton info I got came from ..

So a 6in and a 10in square together "should" look ok .. and should serve 68 people? That is quite a bit more then what she needs, but sometimes to make the design work that is just how it has to be, right?

TheCakerator Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 22

Ok .. So I am still finding this info out there, and want to make sure I quoted the lady the right amount of servings ..

I told her the 6in and 10in squares would serve 68, according to wilton .. but I have this page bookmarked as well, and it looks like a 6in and a 10in would only serve 42?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

That page says they are based on serving sizes of approximately 1.5 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting.

So which one is right?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:

Ok .. So I am still finding this info out there, and want to make sure I quoted the lady the right amount of servings ..

I told her the 6in and 10in squares would serve 68, according to wilton .. but I have this page bookmarked as well, and it looks like a 6in and a 10in would only serve 42?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

That page says they are based on serving sizes of approximately 1.5 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting.

So which one is right?

you bookmarked the "party" cake chart. the links posted earlier are for the "wedding 2 inch" chart.

metria Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 22

is your cake going to be torted w/ filling? i usually tort my cakes, add filling, and they end up being around 4" tall. i use the wilton wedding 2" pan chart.

CWR41 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:

So which one is right?

You're looking at the party cake servings chart, but you asked for wedding cake servings... the industry standard 1" x 2" x 4" 8 cu. in. size.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 22

If you want to know what a 6" on top of a 10" looks like:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Kxi_lXjPOZzPk8qGOqAzcQ?feat=directlink

6" on top of a 9":

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aekO1lFLDjqVIdYEj_ZdJg?feat=directlink

I personally liked the look of the 6x10 better for the off-set stack.

Jen

TheCakerator Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks guys .. guess I didn't realize the difference. That cake is very pretty! And yes, I'll be doing a 6/10in square stacked.

Normally I make my cakes two layers high, with filling (icing). For this cake I was going to do 3 layers high with filling (icing) Only to give it more height.

With it being 3 layers high, she would cut it into wedding cake slices, even at a baby shower?

I hope I quoted her the right amount of servings ... icon_cry.gif

metria Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 22

if you like, you can use my online cake calculator and specify whatever size you want your single serving to be:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator_byVolume.cgi

TheCakerator Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:45pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you, that was a great tool!

Would it be weird to have wedding cake slices at a baby shower?

CWR41 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:42am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

For this cake I was going to do 3 layers high with filling (icing) Only to give it more height.

Three layers (6" tall), when sliced, won't fit on dessert-sized plates. If torted with 1" tall layers, you could use a board in the middle at 3" to serve 3" tall servings... then it would serve double or you could serve larger pieces.

TheCakerator Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 22

I'm sorry CWR, I don't understand the 1" tall layer? Do they make 1" tall pans?

All my pans are 2" deep .. so torted double layered would run 4" tall .. so long as I can actually get a 2" deep cake . they normally are leveled lower then that .. but I did see another thread on how to get deeper cakes .. maybe I should do that method this time.

If they were 4in high, wedding cake slices would still be "ok" to serve at a baby shower, correct?

CWR41 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:15pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:

I'm sorry CWR, I don't understand the 1" tall layer?

Torted.

Quote:

Do they make 1" tall pans?

Yes.

Quote:

If they were 4in high, wedding cake slices would still be "ok" to serve at a baby shower, correct?

You aren't making extra tall 6" high tiers now?
IMO, wedding cake slices (industry standard 8 cu. in. servings) are appropriate for all events... it's a good size portion. If they want bigger servings--they order a bigger cake.

TheCakerator Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you for explaining!

I could do either a 4in tall or a 6in tall cake, but someone said 6in tall slices won't fit on dessert plates .. so 4in would probably be good?

I think you are right, that is a good size portion for a baby shower

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%