Let's Talk About...airbrush Options

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 4:10pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #1 of 10

I have to buy one soon, so need to know...whatever you want to share. I'm leaning towards Kopykake (sp?) and tried to get my hands on the little Duff one at Michaels for 40% off recently but had no luck.

What advice do you all have?

thanks!

9 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 10

I got mine at Michaels too when it was 40% off. Duff makes it. I absolutely love it! I used it twice so far and no complaints!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 10

What supplier do you use for cake decorating supplies? I use Cooks Specialty and they carry airbrushes and compressors of all kinds. Check with yours before you go with a cheap one. I hated my kopykake, and threw it out right away.

My compressor was $99, and my airbrush was $69.

If you plan to use it a lot, especially to spray shimmer on wedding cakes, (that shimmer spray can get thick and have clumps, and you don't want spotting) get a compressor and airgun that can take a load. I've had mine for 3 years with a huge amount of use and still haven't had to replace parts.

When I worked at a grocery store we had a bakery crafts model and that thing was built like a tank.

Lyla_03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyla_03 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #4 of 10

I have the Duff airbrush (40 percent off!) and I love it! It's the only one I've used so I don't know what "better" airbrushes are like. It's really easy to use and so far so good. I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I looked at it as a starter airbrush, and will upgrade when and if I feel the need to.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 10

I have the kopykake compressor,which is still chugging away 6 yrs later. I also bought a new one online, sorry don't remember the company. It sold all kinds of compressors and airbrush guns. It lasted 2 weeks. I also bought the airbrush gun from Ronald Winbeckler's site. It has the different tips that you attach to the gun. Love that. It is the best, the airbrush gun I got with the kopykake, was forever clogging. You can buy the whole system from Winbeckler's site, it's a little pricey but well worth it.

Lyla_03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyla_03 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 10

Ohh...the one with different tips sounds fun! =)

Chef_Stef Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks you guys! I will do a little more homework. I only want to buy this toy once, lol. Good to know there are other brands I should consider aside from KK

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:16am
post #8 of 10

Ok, so I went on ebay today on a whim and saw a Kopykake c3500 I think with everything, used twice, so I threw a bid out there and forgot about it; and I won it, so it should be here after the 8th, and I will let you guys know how I do with it.

I have read something about people wishing for or recommending the dual-action gun (or whatever that's called), any thoughts on that? or is that something I can buy or upgrade to if this is a single-action nozzle. The machine says it's variable psi, but single-action nozzle.

thanks

busy last few months--haven't had time to be here much icon_smile.gif I miss all the advice

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 10

I have a kopykake one that i got a few months ago and use it a lot. My husband and I love it.

Chef_Stef Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 10

thought I'd follow up on this. I got the airbrush, it's absolutely like new, and I use it all the time. Took a bit to figure out the pressure to get the fine spray/mist I wanted, but after that...yeoowww! I LOVE IT. Love it, love it!!

Possibly my favorite thing ever, best money I ever spent, and most useful thing to have on hand.

Huge thumbs UP. Also love the $3/bottle colors on amazon.

Yay!

Gotta go. I'm airbrushing ferns today... icon_biggrin.gif campaigning for votes on the Best of Spokane again, emailing quotes for next year, doing 3 weddings and 2 sheet cakes for tomorrow, and trying to get the family out the door for a camp trip and my dh's birthday, all simultaneously. superwoman has nothin on me, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%