I Know Where All The Good Ones Went!!!!

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm by JanH

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #61 of 75

Kiddiecakes.... I just came back this past week as I stated earlier in the thread.......I got some real nasty stuff thrown my way from my very last throw down and even had awful PM's, and when I posted my award winning recipe I got slammed by some that did not care for it. So I took a 3 year hiatus.

Sure hope things are calmer now.........but I have learned a couple of things, I will not post a recipe, instructions nor a cake photo as I do not care to be bopped in the head by little bunny foo foo's - LOL.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:25pm
post #62 of 75

Alvarezmom, you are spot on! I show nothing, cause of all the b.s. that may come with. And then if you give advice that someone doesn't agree with, the first thing they say is "Well where are your pictures". Take my suggestion, don't take my suggestion, but I have nothing to prove to anyone. And as far as getting PM's, your right, once they get the answer NEVER PM a thank you. So, I'll just keep reading and see. I came back on again, cause things seemed to have calm down a bit, but I have recently discovered, some of it still the same. And I never took your thread title as offensive or that you were insulting anyone. I thought you were expressing how you felt, but I guess that's not okay to some people either. As far as those who took offense at this thread, if you don't feel she is describing you, then don't be offended. I do notice though, that those that do get offended, tend to be the ones doing what is being talked about. Just my humble opinion.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Please, before criticizing the OP, read the posts more carefully and you might find she has every right to be upset. There was one comment on the tutorial and then there were quite a few on a tutorial-inspired cake photo.
Jenny

Actually I did read the entire post and I never said she did not have the right not to be uspet. Point exactly to where I made any such claim. What I did say is the treatment she received while unfortunate is no worse than a thread that then comes and insults the entire forum. If you don't see it that way then we will agree to disagree. However this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I know where all the good CCer's went! They went far away from this place. I NOW see why so many DO NOT give up their secrets on how they did a cake.

and this apology not withstanding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

The good ones are here just lurking for a thread like this to give off good karma! Very much appreciated!!!!!

And if I offended anyone with the title of my post I apoligize. I should have put the names of the decorators that used to be here to chat it up but left or banned. LOL

are of the same kind of practice the OP claims is pervasive on this forum. When you claim to make a case about principle, being insulted does not excuse or license similar behavior. Principle only matters when things get hard and frankly being wronged is not an excuse to come in here and take a swing at everyone.

I wasn't the only one that noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If all 'the good ccer's left' what does that leave those that are still here? icon_sad.gif

Be upset at those that wronged you (as I said before it is unfortunate that it happened) but don't make hyperbolic claims that take a shot at everyone -- it is as bad as the person(s) who insulted the OP. Being wrong is not an excuse for the similar behavior--and neither is human nature. It is not human nature to over-react--saying so only excuses it.

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #64 of 75

Ahem! I am gonna add my 2 cents here because I honestly can't help myself. I also "lurk" quite frequently on this site even though I am a member and have been since Jan of '08. I have noticed quite a few threads and posts that are quite nasty and rude, particularly if it involves one of the aforementioned topics. I read them for entertainment sometimes, kind of like if one sees a car wreck and you cant stop looking even though it is a horrible site. But...and this is a BIG one...I believe that the majority of members, the regular members, forum fanatics, etc., are here truly to help, talk cake and learn and discuss, and generally have fun sharing their cake passion. I thank you, personally and collectively, because you are the reason I keep coming back. I learn something from this site EVERY SINGLE TIME I GET ON!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:46pm
post #65 of 75

I will say I when I first read the title, I was sorta offended, as I started in my first post in this thread. When you read it, as it is stated, it makes it sound like there is no one good left here on the message board. When in my opinion there are many people here that have given and given of their information and insight. I couldn't even begin to list them, but I am thankful they are around.

My first thought when I read the title of the post is, well gee what am I chopped liver?

I know I read into it more personally than I probably should have, and more than it was meant to be, which is why I edited my second post.

My point of this post is that I can understand how some people could take offense to it. There are sometimes comments or the way people word things on here that I do find offensive. But when I step back and look at it again, more often than not I just have to go with the thought, that they didn't mean it how they said it. And if they meant it how they said it, then do I really want to go there? I've learned I can eliminate a lot of drama out of my life by just biting my tongue and clicking on the little red x. Because really if someone feels very strongly about something, my few comments aren't going to change their mind.

I'm sure I have inadvertently offended someone on here. I'm pretty sure at some point all of us have. But we really have to step back and look at the bigger picture of things. Not everyone is going to love everything we do or everything that we say. You take that risk when you put yourself out there. You just have to ignore the bad, remind yourself of the good and decide what is most important in life to you? Worrying about the negative people, or focusing on the positive.

If you worry about the negative people, stress over the things they say, then you let them win. And really as I said before, it is effecting your life way more than it effects others.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #66 of 75

Amen texassugar! Well said.
I have realized that this is not the first argumentative thread I have found myself in the middle of. I am removing myself from it. I am going to try to avoid the negative threads and get myself out of the ones that turn that way. I'm tired of this site making me worry. I worry too much about real life, I can't afford any more worry for here.
While we are wrapped up in this arguement, there are questions going unanswered. It's a shame. The search feature isn't working well so the only way newbies are going to learn here is if some experienced people answer questions.
Anyway, I love cake and learning about cake and looking at everyones pictures.
I'm gone from this "discussion". icon_wink.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:37pm
post #67 of 75

If you worry about the negative people, stress over the things they say, then you let them win. And really as I said before, it is effecting your life way more than it effects others.[/quote][quote]

I completely agree. I also think that while the comments being referenced in this post were rude, I think often tone in written comments can be completely misconstrued. So as hard as it is, if a comment seems offensive, we should probably take it with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:48pm
post #68 of 75

@gatorcake: I wasn't referring to your post, rather one that came after it in which it was obvious that the poster hadn't read and understood the situation completely. My second sentence referenced that misunderstanding. Unfortunately I see that too often: somebody skims a topic and posts a comment based on an incomplete understanding of the situation.

@ everybody else: it's great to see the show of support for a fellow caker.

Now it's time for me to relax and call it an evening! And a little later I'll be dreaming sweet caking dreams icon_smile.gif Hope you all do the same!

Jenny

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #69 of 75

gatorcake I am totally missing what your saying, and the point you are trying to make.

I am not bashing anyone. I made a point, and that is and will be until I see differntly that CC is NOT the place it used to be. Point made. Period. End of story. I am in no way bashing anyone.

Some posters are stuck on the title, ok, and I've repeatedily said that that is the point that I was trying to make to answer another poster's comment.

What I am doing/did on this forum in this thread was not to bash anyone. I didnt put the names of the people who have nothing nice to say on blast. I didnt even put the names of the people who did my tutorial and never bothered to take down the rude comments from their pictures.

Its pretty obvious that many other CCers expierence the same thing as me in one way or another. AND many of them have openly said on this thread and in a PM to me that this is why they lurk, this is why they dont upload pictures, this is why they dont share advice.

It's pretty obvious my wording (lurk, I know where all the good ones went) isnt sitting well with some. I'm ok with that because there isnt any ugliness in what I'm saying.

With that said. I'm going to say one last thing about this and leave it alone and follow many of your advice and ignore the rotten tacky, is that what it was, remarks from those FEW CC'ers who have nothing nice to say.

Thank you to those who understand where I am coming from. It's sad that we have to go through this, and I wish you each the best of luck. From the bottom of my heart I hope none of you wonderful people ever have to deal with rude and foul comments on something that you worked hard on.

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:39pm
post #70 of 75

[quote="jennicita"]@gatorcake: I wasn't referring to your post, rather one that came after it in which it was obvious that the poster hadn't read and understood the situation completely. My second sentence referenced that misunderstanding. Unfortunately I see that too often: somebody skims a topic and posts a comment based on an incomplete understanding of the situation.

I hope this was not in reference to me. I was referring to the tutorial that the OP wants to take down. I think it is a great tutorial and would hate to see her remove it. Please reread my post.
Thanks

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:46pm
post #71 of 75

Sorry, jlcalvert! I had interpreted it that you only saw the one negative comment, not the other ones. My mistake! And that's how quickly and easily mistakes happen. I think I'll extract myself from this before I make any more!
Actually, I think I wanted to go relax... (of course that's on the condition that my son will even let me...kids!)

G'night everybody!

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:50pm
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Sorry, jlcalvert! I had interpreted it that you only saw the one negative comment, not the other ones. My mistake! And that's how quickly and easily mistakes happen. I think I'll extract myself from this before I make any more!
Actually, I think I wanted to go relax... (of course that's on the condition that my son will even let me...kids!)

G'night everybody!

Hey Jenny!
No problem. I learned from this thread alone you have to watch what you say as it may get misintepreted. Glad we cleared the air.

BTW your cake looked great!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm
post #74 of 75
Quote:

That's awesome...kittens always make me smile.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

Over the last month or so there has been an unsettling increase in the volume and frequency of petty bickering in the forums.

This behavior is completely unacceptable and against the spirit of Cake Central.

The moderators and administrators are fed up with trying to keep up with this ugliness and trying to keep the peace.

Quite frankly, Heath and I are disgusted with the behavior of a handful of members and we are putting an end to it.

Consider this message fair notice to everyone. The leniency is over. We are going to start banning any member we feel is starting problems, provoking others, making snide remarks, or insulting other members.

I don't care if we have to ban 1000 users if that is what it takes to get this community back to focusing on cakes instead of inter-personal drama.

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%