Ugh!!! Wilton Alphabet Cutter Set

Decorating By nikkigonzalez Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 4:35am by joycesdaughter111

nikkigonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigonzalez Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:03am
post #1 of 10

I have the Wilton Alphabet cutters that you buy at craft stores and cake stores....How do you take the letters out of those tiny cutters without ruining them, I ruin most of them especially the "B". Ive seen other cake artists and it doesnt look like anything is wrong with their letters. What am I doing wrong?

9 replies
Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

use gumpaste, not fondant and dip the letters in lots of cornstarch before you cut them. I haven't had very much luck w/ the wilton set or the tappits set using fondant.

jody30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jody30 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 10

have you tried drying your fondant/gum paste for a bit before you cut it with the letters... i don't have these one but have the Funky letter cut outs and this is what i have to do..

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 10

Let your fondant (or gumpaste) sit for about 15 minutes before cutting the letters and it is easier to do. Also, if you put shortening on your work surface before rolling out the fondant it will tend to not stick in the cutters. At least that has been my experience. Hope that helps.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #5 of 10

The "B" is terrible! It's not even shaped like the others letters...it's too thin! I hate mine!

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:42am
post #6 of 10

I was going to order that one and changed my mind. The ones I wanted were out of stock at Global. I need a set but just can't seem to find the right ones. Either they seem to small or too large. I guess I'll have to get a set in script and one in block letters...

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:46am
post #7 of 10

This has helped me a great deal with the funky Tappit's letters...put saran wrap over your gumpaste and then use your cutter. I wiggle it around a bit to make sure I've cut completely through and then when I lift the cutter, the letters are not attached to the cutter and you can peel the saran wrap right off. Do wait for your gum paste to dry a bit.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:10am
post #8 of 10

my wilton set didn't even come with a "D" lol it has 2 "B" i usually use a q tip to push the letter out, i have sticking issues too icon_sad.gif

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:18am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

This has helped me a great deal with the funky Tappit's letters...put saran wrap over your gumpaste and then use your cutter. I wiggle it around a bit to make sure I've cut completely through and then when I lift the cutter, the letters are not attached to the cutter and you can peel the saran wrap right off. Do wait for your gum paste to dry a bit.

That's a great tip! Thanks!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:35am
post #10 of 10

Try Windsor Clickstiks (sp). They have an ejector. Global has them. They come in many styles and sizes. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%