Kitchenaid Stand Mixer!!!

Decorating By SweetSuzieQ Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 4:44am by scp1127

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 16

So, I'm FINALLY in the market for a KitchenAid (very excited) and, in trying to price match (and get the best value) it seems like there are so many different "kinds" from artisan, ultra power, professional, classic and then various models of each. So, I guess my question is...how do you decide the one that is best????

Normally I would google and research it for weeks on end but, figured I would post here, where I'm sure most everyone has one and, has already done all the research, and see what the consensus is on "the one" to have!

15 replies
molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 16

I have an Artisan and have been considering upgrading to a Professional, mainly for more power and the bigger work bowl thumbs_up.gif

madis_granny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madis_granny Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 16

I have the Artisan for small stuff, and the Professional, it is the one I use the most! I had it first, then was given the Artisan from a friend who didnt use it. If you can swing the cost, go for the Professional. Worth the money in my opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #4 of 16

Couple of things that might help.

Couple things to consider is how much are you mixing? I went from a 4.5 Qt to a 600 Professional (and honestly it may be too much). Some of the smaller batters I do almost seem to disappear into the bowl--or there is not enough butter to make effective use of the paddle attachment.

Lift versus tilt. I do prefer the lift system of the professional series as opposed to the tilt heads of the Classical and the Artisan. This may not seem like a big deal but the more I used the tilt head the more I was dissatisfied with it and have never wished I had a tilt head since I switched.

Hope this helped.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #5 of 16

Pro series for sure! I have a kitchen aid classic, which I use for small jobs and a kitchen aid Pro series 600, which I use for the big jobs. If you can afford it, get both. It really does make a difference (atleast for me) and start your search on cragslist. HTH!
Fedra

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #6 of 16

I have the Professional 600 and have NO IDEA how I survived before I bought it. I count it as one of my most treasured possessions. icon_wink.gif

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #7 of 16

I just bought a professional 550...I'm so excited to use it. That was all that was available on island, luckily it was the series I wanted! Happy shopping!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:35am
post #8 of 16

I have three. My first is a wonderful, 15 year old Heavy Duty that runs like a Pro6. I then have the Pro6. My third is a recent purchase, the Artisan. I wasted my money on the Artisan. First and worst, the motor is either situated differently or it just gets hotter because it is smaller. When making European buttercreams, subtle warm air can be felt around the top above the bowl, making these buttercreams harder to make. Second, it just makes no sense to get this vs. the Pro6. Save your change (not kidding, do what you have to do to get this one) or just wait and get the one that will meet more needs.

For the Pro6 and all models, the Beater Blade will make it able to mix even the smallest of ingredients. Even if you are whipping a few egg whites, you can start with this blade and get some volume. I have actually whipped egg white the whole way with that blade in the Pro6 (by mistake, but it's nice to know it works).

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:13am
post #9 of 16

I own 2, the 450 watt-5qt and the Pro6. Both are fabulous and I have absolutely no complaints. However, if you decide to buy one of those beaters with the silicone sides, make sure you buy the one made by Kitchen aid. I fell victim to the other brand bc the price was lower and it was sold in stores. Well not long after using the thing, the plastic on the beater broke and subsuquently my mixer malfunctined as well. The source of the problem was that beater. Apparently that beater causes does something to the motor and causes the gears to strip. Luckily it was repared for a nominal cost...

Enjoy your new toy; And don't buy the off brand beater blade.

scp1127 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:30am
post #10 of 16

Sur La Table, amazon, and many other reputable companies have been selling the Beater Blades for years with fantastic reviews. There is plenty of information on the internet to substantiate this.

QueDeeCakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Sur La Table, amazon, and many other reputable companies have been selling the Beater Blades for years with fantastic reviews. There is plenty of information on the internet to substantiate this.

I totally agree with what you have written, which is why I bought the beater in the first place (purchased from sur la table). I bought the first one about a year ago and it worked brillantly until it broke. Apparently, there have been many customers who experienced the same issue as I did (also received this info from sur la table and the kitchen aid repair shop). Kitchen aid improved the design of the beater blade and added silicone only to one side to prevent the problems that were occuring by having silicone on both sides. The mixer is able to do its job without being held back by the beater..ultimately causing stress on the motor and gears. I recieved this information from sur la table as well.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16

You guys are AMAZING! So nice to hear opinions of those that have and use them!

I am a cupcake baker so, generally don't mix up more than 24 at a time right now but that may change if i get busier!

I am definately going to see. If I can get a good deal on a pro, it seems that is the way to go!

QueDeeCakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 16

If you have a bed bath and beyond nearby, you can use the 20% off coupon to buy your mixer icon_smile.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 16

I've had 3 of them and currently own two.
First one I bought was back in 1980 and it was a 5qt - Loved it but I got to a point where it wasn't big enough. This machine is still in use, I gave it to my mother.

Next one I bought was a Professional 6 with 525 watts - LOVE IT

I also have a tilt head KA45 with 300 watts and although I use it, it is not my "go to" mixer. I have never been a fan of the tilt head versions for two reasons. #1 - there is no handle on the bowl and #2 - I feel the bowl is too deep and not wide enough at the bottom. Aside from those issues, which are really my issues, the mixer does a fine job on smaller batches of things, and on occasion, I do make small batches. I also have no room to complain about this mixer as I won it at a MI ICES event last year. icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 16

Whoa! Thanks for the suggestion to try Craigslist. I found this one:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/hsh/2485023633.html

and will have to go and check them out. I will take a few scratches to save hundreds on a pro mixer!!

scp1127 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:44am
post #16 of 16

Que, I do have the ones where one side barely hits and the other does the real scraping. I only started buying them a few years ago. I just recently had to replace my Pro6, and the blade had obviously conformed to the old bowl. Just when I was going to replace it, I guess enough hot washings had caused it to perfectly conform to the new bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%