My Kitchenaide Attachments Are Ruined!!!!

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 11:55pm by indydebi

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #31 of 46

I thought I read somewhere that Williams Sonoma doesn't have a life warranty anymore. 90 days and that's it. I read it about two years ago but I'm not 100% sure. I would say, ask first.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/customer-service/return-policy.html?cm_type=fnav

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm
post #32 of 46

Yes, Porche has problems. They are readily available with a quick google search. With the social network, exactly what we are doing right now with KA, problems are not kept quiet. The information is shared and readily available to the general public. Consumer reports is a perfect site to compare major purchases, along with the many forums available for popular products.

If you email KA, they will get back to you. That has been my experience.

I personally do not dishwash any of my expensive kitchen items, from knives, cooking pans and electronic components. I also properly store these items.

A few months ago, my Pro6 had a motor problem. I brought it in to WS and received a new one immediately. The new one also has the lifetime warranty. My cuisinart 16c processor is also from there. Unless WS goes out of business, there is another item I will not have to re-purchase, along with Shun knives and All-Clad pans.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #33 of 46

Consider that no high-end car owner would ever take their expensive car through a commercial car wash (no offense to any drive-thru car wash owners) - it's hand wash and wax only for them. So why would we trust our precious baking tools to a dishwasher? I always hand wash my tools, bowls, pans, etc. It ensures that every drop of grease and cake is removed and if something breaks/gets ruined I only have myself to blame (no questioning what happened). I don't trust those dishwasher detergents on any of my delicate dishes either - if it can get stuck on lasagna off a dish or pan after sitting there drying on for a week it has to be a pretty harsh chemical make-up. I would definitely call KA - you have nothing to lose.

scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:52pm
post #34 of 46

QT, just save your receipt in a safe place if you purchase from WS.

Imagenthatnj, I heard that too... here. But I just did this in May. They handed me a new one and explained to keep the paperwork again. I think WS has their own models for identification. For example, mine is a Pro610. The lady said the paperwork just makes it easier for replacement, but it was not completely necessary. She said that if I didn't have the paperwork, I would have gotten credit for what I paid, but with the paperwork, I receive a new replacement, regardless of the age.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #35 of 46

Thanks scp1127, that's great to know. I buy there frequently. Oh, and Shun knives and All Clad lover here, too.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #36 of 46

Awesome scp1127! Thanks! So, I will get it from Williams & Sonoma. And I agree with the hand washing. I've only have ever hand washed my KA stuff, right along with Henkles knives, and any other pricey kitchen equipment I have.

scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:10pm
post #37 of 46

Stormrider, I completely agree. And that goes for more than cars and kitchen appliances. Fine clothing may have a tag that reads machine washable, but we don't do it. Likewise, we kid glove our expensive electronics, furniture, flooring, appliances, etc. Proper handling will insure a longer life in many things.

Alton Brown has a book, Gear For Your Kitchen, that explains proper use and care. Sur La Table has a similar book, Things Cooks Love.
From Alton Brown, I learned that my Shun knives should never be put in the sink, but immediately washed while it is still in my hand, dried, and immediately placed in its holder.

Stores such as Sur La Table and WS are great sources for this information. The staff is very knowledgeable.

I know that some kitchens may be too busy to take the time, but many here on CC are home bakers who need their electrics to last. A little TLC will go a long way to increasing the life of your appliance.

If you talk to a restaurant supply store and get a knowledgeable salesperson, you will learn what electrics can and can't do. For example, if you make fondant frequently in a KA, you will most likely wear it out prematurely. The Hobarts, and other similar heavy duty brands, are built for this type of use. That is why I don't make my own fondant... because I don't have the proper equipment. I've made it successfully, but have chosen not to make it with my current equipment. I own three KA's, but they are not meant for that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm
post #38 of 46

On the slightly-off-topic topic.....

Hubby used to dream of owning a Cadillac .... until he worked at a Cadillac dealership and now he says "Anyone who owns a Cadillac outside of the warranty period is a fool!" He saw those cars come in for repairs on things that he has NEVER had to repair on any of his cheap, used cars that he's owned over his lifetime.

The cost of just an oil change on some of these luxury cars are more than any of us would pay for a KA. So whoever said that buyers of high end cars have to be aware of the cost of maintenance is spot on!

scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #40 of 46

Debi, we looked at Mercedes SUV's last year and found out quickly why all used Mercedes have 48,000 miles. At 50K, repairs and scheduled maintenance is in the multi thousands, not counting tire replacement. We didn't mind the sticker price, but the added expenses made ownership cost much more than that. The Hummer and Escalade had the same reliability problems. With the added repairs, other vehicles for the same price became a much better value. We bought a Toyota. No repairs, just payments.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #41 of 46

I had that happen with my dishes, came out with a dark gray coating. It turned out that the coating on the dishwasher racks was disintegrating and that's what caused the problem. Replaced the dishwasher (it was old) and havn't had the problem since.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #42 of 46

I can appreciate the draw of the WS "lifetime warranty"--BUT, what they really seem to have done is to add an extended warranty cost onto the base price of the item.

I can find a 6 qt. KA Pro for under $300 online, at Costco, etc. From WS, their "exclusive" Pro610 (no difference other than the #) is on sale for $400......

Consumer Reports will tell you that extended warranties are one of the worst things you can buy....

WS has it figured out. They upcharge every mixer, fully understanding that in the long run, very few will be returned/many people will forget about the warranty over time/lose their receipts/get it for a gift & have no understanding of the policy. Believe me, they're NOT losing money on this deal. If they suddenly get too many returns, they just up the price. The returns go back to KA, get refurbished and sold for a song thru their outlet or to online sellers specializing in refurbs.......

Sure, there's a certain peace of mind knowing that you can return the item, but, you PAY for that peace of mind--have no doubt about it.

I've had my 6 qt. KA for 5 years, purchased online from KA. Didn't like the sound of the 1st one I got, so I called them (about 2 mos. after I got it), they listened to it over the phone, and had a new one on it's way the next day along with a free return shipping slip. No problems since then and I work it hard.

I never buy extended warranties. I buy at the lowest possible price and accept the fact that s%#& happens...............oh, and also, my credit card doubles any warranty that comes with what I charge on it, too.

scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #43 of 46

That extra warranty is not a typical extended warranty and it would be erroneous to compare it to that. It is lifetime, full replacement, no questions, no hassle, no shipping, no delay. This goes for many, if not all of their exclusive products. I had a Goldtouch pan retain water in a spot and I saw rust. I got a new one. Not everyone looks for the cheapest price when true value is measured with much more than the initial cash outlay.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:14pm
post #44 of 46

Yeah, I don't really see that as an extended warranty either. I think I am willing to pay the extra hundred if it's for LIFE. I feel much better then a a limited time frame warranty.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #45 of 46

It's not erroneous if compared to a "no hassle, full replacement" extended warranty purchase. I'm not talking about some $4.99 add on at Best Buy, either.

They "charge" an extra $100 for every mixer for the privilege. Period. Exercise the privilege and you've won. Don't exercise it, you've lost, they've won.

For every 3 mixers purchased--even at their sale price-- WS can probably purchase 1 or 2 at wholesale prices with just the cummulative overage--and still have a good profit. Do 2 out of 3 mixers get returned? Doubt it, but even if they did, WS would still be in the black.

At some level, it always comes back onto the consumer--either upfront with the added cost or around the bend with a simple price increase across the board.

If they'll accept the return of a $$$ mixer because someone ruined the paddle, or scratched it, or got tired of it, they have to protect themselves from bankruptcy, somehow, so they just choose to collect $100 from everyone..........

Nordstrom's will accept returns on anything--even stuff they DON'T sell ! That's why they're, generally, so expensive. I'm sure they prefer the moniker "exclusive". I don't shop there.

It's all what you choose to do with your money. Sometimes, I choose to pay for peace of mind--I buy travel insurance when I cruise (NEVER from the cruise company) or when I travel outside the US--but other times, I'll hedge my bets.

I've saved $100, so far icon_wink.gif

Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:55pm
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I never buy extended warranties.

Neither do we. We bought a freezer once and the guy tried to sell us the warranty, saying the mfg'r warranty was only 90 days so if anything went wrong after that, it would be out of our pocket. I told him, "Darlin', if I pay this much money for an appliance and it doesnt' last longer than 90 days, you've got a bigger problem than any warranty is going to cover!" icon_evil.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%