The Most Workable Fondant With The Greatest Taste & Colo

Decorating By De65 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 5:44am by lilmissbakesalot

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:46pm
post #31 of 54

I"m a HUGE fan of FondX I've tried so many and I always come back to it for taste and workability.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:46pm
post #32 of 54

I've spent the last couple of months trying different fondants. I still like SatinIce, buttercream flavor the best, but I like PettinIce just about as much. I did not like Fondx (too soft, strange smell) or Ice N Easy (just weird). I actually would use Wilton before I'd make MMF. That stuff is at the bottom of my list.

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #33 of 54

I agree with leah_s, satin ice buttercream tastes wonderful and adding a little glycerin helps to keep the elephant skin appearance away (learned that from Kerry Vincent on one of the food network challenge shows). I've tried fondx and its just too soft and tears easily. I've also tried Duff's fondant and while it works well, its a PIA to get it out of the bucket. I keep wilton around for cutouts and other adornments.

Massa is in a class of its own, its a dream to work with but rather expensive.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #34 of 54

Leah, just curious, what do you not like about MMF? It's the only thing I've ever used because I'm jsut a hobby baker so far. Watching costs, you know? Anyway, how are the brands different than MMF? are they just easier to work with? Thanks.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:05pm
post #35 of 54

I use Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic, different brand from Albert Uster, both are from Switzerland. I actually have been meaning to contact Albert Uster to see if I can get some samples of their massa because Carma does not have a chocolate fondant, Albert Uster also has a soft fondant that is supposed to be good for petit fours without having to use poured fondant.

Anyway I HIGHLY recommend Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic. It's perfect in just about every way and awesome in humid areas (if you can get it). I've never gotten elephant skin and it's never torn on me. Never. And I am far from a fondant master!

Jen

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #36 of 54

Funny I found Satin Ice to tear easily and elephant skin, it ceases on cold cakes and won't stick to them. I have not had any luck with it. But like most things to each his own, everything will work different for different people. I know people that LOVE McCalls Easy Ice and the majority hate it. I guess it's what you get use to. Fondx and Virgin Ice are my go to fondants.

I would love to try some of the ones listed here but they aren't available in Canada that I know of?

De65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
De65 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #37 of 54

I have black fondX coming and some of that Massa. I live in a high humid area so satin ice is out,
their samples i got were rock hard & had a not so fresh smell. Plus I like the vibrant colors of fondarific. I need to try some of that pettinice. I did like Duffs, taste and colors but its white isnt close to being white at all.

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:42pm
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by De65

I have black fondX coming and some of that Massa. I live in a high humid area so is out,
their samples i got were rock hard & had a not so fresh smell. Plus I like the vibrant colors of fondarific. I need to try some of that pettinice. I did like Duffs, taste and colors but its white isnt close to being white at all.

Albery Uster Massa or Carma's Masa Ticino Tropic? Two different manufactures. Massa is a generic word in Switzerland meaning "paste" or what they call "fondant". If you were able to get samples sent of Albert Uster, can you specify please? And were those the ones that were hard?

Thanks!

De65 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:55pm
post #39 of 54

The full orders of Albert Uster Massa and fondX is what I ordered that has not arrived yet. The samples were the satin ice, candied cakes mmf from ebay, and the one i took the pic of on page 2. After i received those samples, i ordered the full size of the fantastically fondant from page 2 because it was bright white. Whiter then wiltons.

De65 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:58pm
post #40 of 54

I agree... it is at the bottom of my list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've spent the last couple of months trying different fondants. I still like SatinIce, buttercream flavor the best, but I like PettinIce just about as much. I did not like Fondx (too soft, strange smell) or Ice N Easy (just weird). I actually would use Wilton before I'd make MMF. That stuff is at the bottom of my list.

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:52pm
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by De65

The full orders of Albert Uster Massa and fondX is what I ordered that has not arrived yet. The samples were the , candied cakes mmf from ebay, and the one i took the pic of on page 2. After i received those samples, i ordered the full size of the fantastically fondant from page 2 because it was bright white. Whiter then wiltons.

Great, thank you for clarifying!!! Good luck with your search,

Jen

De65 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #42 of 54

Update: While the fantastically fondant is SUPER white and has a great taste and smell...
It doesnt hang very well over a cake while smoothing it down without rips and cracks.
It does roll out really smooth.

The fondX was nice to work with and it pretty workable, but the smell was
just a tad chemical-ish, but i thought it tasted pretty good & rolls out smooth.

Candied cakes MMF has a good taste, color, and smell, but not workable.
It never rolled smooth.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:46pm
post #43 of 54

I'm on team Satin Ice. I used the butter flavor for the first time this recently and i always use Vanilla. Sort of tastes like Marshmellow. I am so happy to have read from QueDeeCakes to put glycerine to prevent the elephant skin. Good tip. Thank you.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm
post #44 of 54

I use to use wilton brand it work great but not good flavor. I started using satin ice vanilla, the flavor is great but way too soft it tears and elephant skin. I tought because I always get it from a local cake supply store and i can't use it for decoration just for covering cake. I was thinking of trying ordering online to see if it was different. I want to try another brand, maybe fondx, where is the best place to get it.
Veronica

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:43pm
post #45 of 54

I like duff when its not hot. Satin ice tears and has that elephant skin.

De65 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:40pm
post #46 of 54

New update: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html

http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/departments/fondantgum-pasteicing.aspx
Ships fast

**** price, flavor, taste, color, work-ability, and smell I will stick with fondarific
but pettinIce is my go to second runner. I live in a high humid area and these two above listed.....rock.

http://www.fondantsource.com

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:48pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I use for the usual celebration cakes like birthdays, etc. But when I really want to pull out the stops I have my clients taste Massa Grischuna White Chocolate from Albert Uster. IMHO it's the best for handling (it drapes like a dream) and most important taste. It's not cheap (about $80 for 13 pounds. That's about twice the cost of but I can easily cover two 3 tier cakes 6", 9" and 12") with one bucket of Massa Grischuna with a pound or so left over...so for an additional feew bucks I can deliver a cake that is truly memorable for the fondant alone.

Do I have this correct that a 13 lb bucket of Massa will cover all 6 tiers of two different cakes? So two 6" tiers, two 9" tiers and two 12" tiers?

I'm going to have to try this.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #48 of 54

I like to mix Fondarific and Sating Ice together. Saves a bit on coast and improves what I don't like about both brands.

De65 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #49 of 54

I finally have time to give you the 411 on the item#505026 Massa Grischuna White Chocolate... So smooth, non stick, non greasy, The taste is both pure and rich. The smell is light, fresh... almost like the day after you make candy and the house still has that wonderful holiday sent.
It drapes on the cake so perfectly... makes you feel like a pro. Is pretty mistake free.
13 lbs in a nice big square container. Very white and easy to work with. My NEW favorite.

De

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:56am
post #50 of 54

How much glycerin do you add? How do you know when you've added enough?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:38am
post #51 of 54

I lined up Massa Grischuna, Massa's version of "Chocopan", Satin Ice, Pettinice and FondX--all white--and did a taste test. Really expected Massa to be the winner since it's very pricey and Sharon Zambito swears by it. However, Pettinice was the winner for me, and it always handles well. I had been adding some chocolate clay to it, but they seem to be making it softer so that isn't necessary. Have to say I like the workability of FondX right out of the bucket. Their "elite" colors are great. Don't like mmf at all--can't depend on the consistency, and it tears more easily when rolled thin. Michelle Foster's is better; haven't made it in a long time, but would like to give it another try in case I need something to fall back on in a pinch. Not likely, since I roll mine thin enough that a bucket goes a long way and I currently have over 90 lbs. of white, plus chocolate and colors. I would NEVER, under any circumstances, use Wilton fondant on anything other than a cake dummy. In fact, it's such a pain to roll out I wouldn't use it for that, either. And palatability? Only if you really like a mouth full of bad gum.

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:53am
post #52 of 54

This thread actually prompted me to contact my local Albert Uster sales rep and ask for some samples. They just came in today, he gave me some Americana, white chocolate, chocolate and neutral. I really expected them to taste as good as Carma's Masa Ticino Tropic... but they didn't even come close. icon_sad.gif This is based on flavor alone, I have not tried to cover a cake yet. Based on flavor, I won't be switching my primary fondant any time soon, especially since Albert Uster is more expensive then Carma for me (and comes in smaller buckets) which is surprising, I though they'd be the same price. Another negative, Albert Uster Americana has "hydrogenated vegetable fat" in the ingredients, Carma has no hydrogenated ingredients. That probably doesn't matter to most, but it matters to me.

I'm still torn about the chocolate/white chocolate fondant since Carma doesn't make either. I might go back to making my own. Dunno.

But thanks for giving me the idea to ask for samples!

Jen

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:42am
post #53 of 54

Fondx for me. I don't like the elite for the flavor, but the regular Fondx is great and the price is great.

Satin Ice dries out too fast and you get that slight cracking at the top edge. You get none of that with Fondx. I tried a bucket and never looked back.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:44am
post #54 of 54

I used to make my own, but now that I am much busier it's too hard (on my KA too) to make enough to keep up.

But if you are going to make you own I will give another shout out to Michele Foster's recipe. Easy to make and works beautifully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%