Satin Ice Gets Gross If Colored?

Decorating By drwendy Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 2:47pm by SatinFineFoods

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 5

I did a cake with Satin Ice this week, which I have used before and like the texture (so much easier to roll out than MMF). But this time I colored it with Americolor liquid and it got kind of yukky....very sticky to work with but then dried out to "elephant skin" when I put it on my cake, large crack in one spot. Air conditioning was on in the house (or it would have melted right off). Anybody else have this problem?

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 5

Putting a lot of color into fondant will degrade it. That's why you buy in pre-colored.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:12am
post #3 of 5

If you put alot of color into fondant, you will have to put more powdered sugar and shortening into it. That is the only way to keep it workable. I buy precolored as often as I can but if I am making a custom color, you have to keep that in mind. Powdered sugar AND shortening, as much as needed to get it back to workable.

Freedomx6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freedomx6 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

Did you use a liquid, or a gel? Liquid coloring will destroy any fondant.

SatinFineFoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SatinFineFoods Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 5

When adding color to your Satin Ice fondant or gum paste, we recommend a gel-based coloring like AmeriColor or Chef Master. Add a little bit at a time for better control of the outcome of your color. This also helps to prevent too much coloring going in which might cause the product to become inconsistent. Best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%