Questions About Wedding Cakes

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 12:51am by Marianna46

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering: 1. if an entire cake is done in fondant and the bride and groom generally keep it for the one year anniversay, what is the best method for preservation? 2. Also, for the cake bases (I guess that is what it is called) that are covered in fondant and royal icing, do you still ask for them back, can it be reused (referring to cover plywood bases unless there are others out there I don't know of)? 3. Do most of you that do wedding cakes also decorate the table around the cake (rose petals, candles, etc.)? Maybe I have been looking at too much youtube today about wedding cakes? But I still would like to know for future reference! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, KMKakes! Here's what I do: 1. Suggest that they box the cake, then wrap the whole thing airtight in plastic and freeze it. When you want to cut it (on the first anniversary, usually), take the cake out of the freezer, let it thaw and only THEN unwrap it. That way the condensation won't affect it. 2. If I use heavy wooden bases, I want them back - they aren't that cheap! You can scrape them, wash them and use them again. 3. Although it's an extra, I like the idea of decorating the table around the cake. It adds drama and it's not something the venue is likely to do for you, so if you like the idea, I say go for it.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7

I offer a certificate for a small 5" round 2 layer buttercream filled/iced cake on their 1 yr anniversary. So far every couple takes that option as opposed to saving and eating a cake 1 yr later.

No, I don't ask for my plywood, fondant covered cake boards back. I build that into my wedding or tiered cake pricing.

I will decorate the cake table at an additional cost if contracted to do so.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #4 of 7

I do the gift cert also. Who really wants to eat year old food? blargh.

I charge and equipment fee - covers the cost of SPS and the cake drum.

Brides/families generally hate having to return stuff after the wedding. Everyone's tired. and over it all.

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:22am
post #5 of 7

Good idea about the cake bases, cakestyles. You sound like you have a lot more experience at this than I do. Thanks for your input.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #6 of 7

The gift certificate idea is great!!!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

Sorry, leah_s, I didn't see your post before I replied. But I like both your and cakestyles ideas about these things. I will say that we ate the top tier of our frozen and thawed year-old wedding cake on our first anniversary and thought it was pretty tasty, but I can see your point about a gift certificate. Before refrigeration, they used to make the top tier out of fruitcake so you could leave it out (well, out of the fridge but well wrapped) until the first anniversary, but nobody on this side of the Atlantic seems to even want fruitcake anymore (I may be the only exception!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%