Cake Mix Doctor Vs. Extender Recipe

Baking By charman Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 8:18am by Nymphony

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 18

Apologize for the length now, but here is my dilemma...I have been using Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge with the cake mix extender recipe for 4 years now, and just recently I have started having problems...cake appears done, tests done, remove from the oven, and 15 minutes later...it has sunk in the middle. I have contact DH to see if they have changed their mix or formula, and they say no. I use all of their flavors, and have no problems with the others.

Recently, I tried the Cake Mix Doctors recipe for chocolate cake...using 1/2 cup warm water, 1/2 cup oil, box of choc. pudding, 4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream and cake mix...tried with DH, same problem...tried with Pillsbury, and it works. However, what I don't like about it is 2 things...it takes more batter, and it is like working with glue.

So my questions are...

1. Has anyone else had these problems with DH Dark Chocolate Fudge mix?
2. Could I use the extender recipe with the Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Fudge mix, as I would the Duncan Hines, even though it has the pudding in the mix and DH does not?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...oh, and I can use the DH DCF mix to make cupcakes just fine...explain that...use the same recipe and all!

HELP!!!!!
Thanks
C

17 replies
charman Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 18

Surely someone has a response to this...please...

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 18

I have the same sinking problem w/ the dark choc fudge cake mix and use a extender recipe. I called DH and they told me I was using too many ingredients. I explained I have tried all of their other flavors the the dark choc is the only flavor I have this issue with and then the guy told me I was getting lucky w/ the other flavors????? icon_confused.gif He told me I should use a extender recipe that is specifically for chocolate cakes. Long story short I got a coupon for a free box of DH cake mix out of it.

I would love to know why it is just this flavor also!!!!

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 18

I have a problem with DH chocolate too. I personally think it's the acidity of the cocoa powder or something "science" related like that...but I have no proof or way to back it up or fix it. Helpful, huh? icon_smile.gif Maybe a tsp of baking powder or something...

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 18

I use the DH dark chocolate fudge mix quite a bit and have not noticed any problems. What exactly is the extender recipe? Maybe if I compare to what I normally use it might help.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 18

I use a modified WASC with Betty Crocker fudge cake all the time and have never had an issue. Maybe switch to BC for your chocolate?

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 18

I've read on here that if it sinks that you cooked it to long.. Don't know if it's true or not but a lot of people commented and told the decorator that she baked it to long

charman Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #8 of 18

The extender recipe I use adds 1 extra egg, 1 cup flour and sugar, 1 cup sour cream, pinch of salt and teaspoon of vanilla along with what is on the box...what I use for all flavors...sorry, but don't know that I agree with the baking too long theory, again, since it doesn't happen with the other flavors. Sorry but glad to hear others are having a problem...when I called they told me to add more sugar...also had someone tell me to add the sugar at the end...I too think it is something science related on their end...how else can you explain it has worked for 4 years, works for all other flavors, and now it is not.

I am just curious if anyone things I would be okay to try the Pillsbury Cake Mix with pudding in it using the above recipe...any thoughts? Guess some more trial and error on my part...curious if anyone is already doing it.

Thanks!
C

Rendee Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:40am
post #9 of 18

I have done the cake mix extender recipe w/ every brand including the .79 cents kroger brand and they all come out great except for the above mentioned.

I have also discovered using margerine instead of butter in the mixes and was surprised w/ how great they came out, about the same as w/ butter.

Does anyone else use margerine instead of butter???

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #10 of 18

I just made the DH Devils Food extender when I usually use BC for all my chocolate cakes and it sunk as well. I have used DH for all other flavors but have been unhappy with their chocolates. I either use BC or the Hershey chocolate cake recipe..DH is a no go for chocolate!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:35am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by charman

The extender recipe I use adds 1 extra egg, 1 cup flour and sugar, 1 cup sour cream, pinch of salt and teaspoon of vanilla along with what is on the box...what I use for all flavors...sorry, but don't know that I agree with the baking too long theory, again, since it doesn't happen with the other flavors. Sorry but glad to hear others are having a problem...when I called they told me to add more sugar...also had someone tell me to add the sugar at the end...I too think it is something science related on their end...how else can you explain it has worked for 4 years, works for all other flavors, and now it is not.

I am just curious if anyone things I would be okay to try the Pillsbury Cake Mix with pudding in it using the above recipe...any thoughts? Guess some more trial and error on my part...curious if anyone is already doing it.
i use the exact same receipe as you do-and just made a cake last night. i didnt notice any problems. i also use DH dark chocolate fudge. i do notice that it depends which pans im using for baking. if im using my magic line or duffs pans i have no problems . if i use a wilton pan i deal the sink-age. but since i usually cut the top of my cakes off to level im not too concern. curious what others think.
Thanks!
C

charman Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 18

Rendee...you said except for the above mentioned...did you mean Duncan Hines or Pillsbury? Thanks
C

Rendee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #13 of 18

sorry I was referring to DH.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:11am
post #14 of 18

i use one box of DH dark choc fudge and one box of BC choc fugde, and the same extender you do and it comes out fine. i even half the boxes when i only need to make a 1 box batch.

Rendee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:03am
post #15 of 18

I guess next time I have to make choc cake I will try a different extender recipe because I really like the flavor of the dark choc fudge. Maybe a different recipe will work.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:42am
post #16 of 18

LOVE Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge. they better never EVER get rid of it. I can only find it at one store in town & stock up like crazy when it goes on sale.
I actually don't typically use any extenders with this particular mix so can't comment on that part. Just want to say how much I love that mix! I use coffee in place of the water and if I have it on hand add shaved chocolate and it's TDF!

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:47am
post #17 of 18

I ALWAYS have a problem with DH chocolate cake mixes. I use the same WASC recipe with all of the other DH flavors, and the cakes always come out perfect. Not the chocolate. Sometimes the cake comes out and falls apart on me, sometimes is sinks, sometimes it's so moist that it feels wet & i can't use it. Lucky for me, I don't have to bake very many chocolate cakes. I think I'll try BC to see if I get better results....

Nymphony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nymphony Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:18am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

I either use BC or the Hershey chocolate cake recipe..DH is a no go for chocolate!

I also have used the Hershey recipe for over a year now (the recipe is on the Hershey's Cocoa containers). icon_smile.gif It always comes out great for me, but I have never used an extender with any batter. A box mix is pretty cheap ($1-2), is it cheaper to use all those extra ingredients or is there a different reason for using an extender?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%