Champagne Taste Beer Budget

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 12:03pm by dreamacres

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 5

I know I am still paying my dues and improving my skills but how long do people expect me to pay to make them a cake. They know my work, they know what a charge (2.50 per serving, buttercream covered in fondant with all the bling). I think if one more person send me a 4 tier master piece from another artist and ask me to work with them on a design, and then tell me they have decided all they want is a sheet cake, I am going to scream. Before picking up a pencil I always go over the cost. I was trying to consider it the practice I needed for the design consultation, but I am past that after spending hours wasted in design. I do think I must start saying something like, " I have asked you what your budget is and you have not given me a number. I have shown you serving charts so you understand the pricing, the cake you sent me was $600, as shown. No I can not do anything near the design with 30 servings. If you you like to continue I will need a budget and a deposit in order to proceed. Sounds harsh but really, four tier, hours spent, then sheet cake!!!! Oh to added insult to injury they ask for all the sugar figures and elements on the sheet cake, and would it cost more????. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 5

Well, I hope that you are not handing over your design without charging them for your talent. I would let them know that before you draw out anything you need (1) budget, (2) number of people to serve cake to, (3) date, (4) flavors and (5) that a Non-refunded Cash deposit is required before you do anything.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

.... if one more person send me a 4 tier master piece from another artist and ask me to work with them on a design....

to which you look at them and with eyes wide, say, "Wow!! I had no idea you wanted to spend a few hundred dollars on a cake! This will be fun!" Then be silent and wait for them to respond. icon_twisted.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I do think I must start saying something like, " I have asked you what your budget is and you have not given me a number. I have shown you serving charts so you understand the pricing, the cake you sent me was $600, as shown. No I can not do anything near the design with 30 servings. If you you like to continue I will need a budget and a deposit in order to proceed.

Suonds like you've got the speech hammered out! thumbs_up.gif

dreamacres Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5

Love it IndyDeb!!!! So funny, just got an email from her and she would like me to give her my cake and frosting recipes!!!! Gotta love them

dreamacres Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 5

Love it IndyDeb!!!! So funny, just got an email from her and she would like me to give her my cake and frosting recipes!!!! Gotta love them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%