I'm Going To Cry - Help??

Baking By jamsie Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm by Wiltonlady

jamsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamsie Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:27am
post #1 of 12

I have tried rolling out my crappy MMF three times and no matter how much cornstarch I use to keep it from sticking to the counter, it just sticks and tears and it's making me insane. This cake is due TODAY and I don't have enough supplies or time to make another batch!!! I've been up all night long and I'm ready to pull my hair out.

I've tried adding corn syrup (because I don't have glucose and I think it's the same thing) and nothing works. NOTHING.

HELP!

11 replies
Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:15am
post #2 of 12

i've never used MMF but when i use chocolate paste which can be very sticky i cover my counter in cling film cover that with loads of powdered sugar then you can lift it on the cling film if needed but this normally stops it sticking and peel it off and this stops it ripping. don't know if this will help with MMF but its worth i go

Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:18am
post #3 of 12

Eeek. I hate it when that happens. What is the temp like there? (I am in Australia). If its hot then you may need to cool the room down. I have started using a sheet of thick plastic to roll my fondant out onto now. It ALWAYS comes off without sticking. Another thing I use to do b4 I got the plastic was do a few rolls with the rolling bin then lift the fondant from the bench and re cornstarch it etc. I would think corn syrup would have made it more sticky, maybe add more powdered sugar.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 12

Use powdered sugar. After one or two rolls, turn it round, lift slightly and sweep a little more sugar to the areas of the work surface that need it. Keep moving the paste around to stop it sticking.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 12

I never use either powdered sugar or cornstarch to roll out fondant. I find that it just makes it stick more, especially when the humidity is very high, and winds up incorporating too much of either into the fondant which leads to other issues such as cracking when the fondant winds up too dry. All I have ever used is a thin coating of Crisco on the surface where I am rolling out my fondant. I also use the Wilton mat ( http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=10542&step=4 ) as I find that rolling on the counter itself seems to increase the likelihood of sticking even with the Crisco. With larger pieces I start rolling on the Wilton mat, then cover it with a second Wilton Mat and continue till I have the size I want. When the Wilton mat is too small (its only 24x24), I roll directly on the counter but use a bit more Crisco, and lift and turn the fondant more often to ensure that it isn't sticking. I plan on getting THE MAT ( http://www.sweetwise.com/using-the-mat.html ) as soon as I can afford it.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 12

I think you've dried it out with too much cs. As the previous poster stated, try shortening.

If it's very dry knead in a little bit of shortening. Do not add any more corn syrup, that will just make it sticky.

Is this colored mmf or white?

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 12

when i use MMF i microwave it a little bit to make it easier to handle, then coat my hands in shortening to knead it. look up flourpots technique, she is a master at it!! Good luck

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 12

Throw it away and run to the store for some Wilton... much easier to use. I couldn't cover a cake in MMF if my life depended on it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Throw it away and run to the store for some Wilton... much easier to use. I couldn't cover a cake in MMF if my life depended on it.

As much as I hate Wilton, I agree that you should ditch the MMF (unless the prior poster's suggestions help you save it). I gave up using MMF because of the susceptibility to heat and humidity. Believe it or not, you can make Wilton fondant semi-palatable by adding flavouring like caramel, strawberry or even lemon extracts.

I'm sorry for your pain and wish you well.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 12

No, NOT the Wilton Fondant....Michaels carries Duffs now and it tastes much better. Just don't try to make models with it since it doesn't harden.
Good luck.

Don't forget to print off a coupon before you go. It's like $20 a bucket if you don't.
mommachris

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

No, NOT the Wilton Fondant....Michaels carries Duffs now and it tastes much better. Just don't try to make models with it since it doesn't harden.
Good luck.

Don't forget to print off a coupon before you go. It's like $20 a bucket if you don't.
mommachris

LOL Wilton fondant does that to people. The only reason I said Wilton is because if I had a cake due for delivery today, I could get to the dreaded Walmat to get Wilton fondant and get back in 20 min. but it would take me 3 hours round trip to get to Michaels or a proper bakery supply store! I forget sometimes that not everyone is as remote as I am!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 12

Katboss' suggestion is perfect.

ps.
Cornstarch is very drying for mmf or any fondant. Best thing to use is more shortening and powdered sugar, especially if it's humid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%