Holy Gondola!?

Decorating By foreverfrosted Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 4:20am by Sugarflowers

foreverfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foreverfrosted Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 2

I have just recently started making cakes for people and I absolutely love it, but this last cake was a disaster!

The couple wanted a Gondola Themed cake for their groom's cake. They got engaged in Vegas and wanted the buildings on the side with a gondola in the center, with him proposing to her on the gondola.

I was pretty discouraged when my fondant started sagging because it got too cold. And since it was such a big cake I couldn't see an end in sight.....So I finally decided it was good to go. I put it in the Explorer on the slip resistant mat. Hour drive to location. Half-way there I notice the two largest buildings start to drop....at the same time the air conditioning started blowing warm....I pulled over and called my fiance. He doesn't answer, we get horrible reception at our house. I put the buildings in a pan and tried starting the car, just to drive to my sisters house to fix my mess. The car didn't start!!! I call my sister, she comes with her car. We drop off the cake at her house and I take my extra car to Walmart to buy some new emergency tools and icing, food coloring, etc.

My sister drives me to the rehearsal dinner, 30 minutes until they arrive. I quickly color some icing, and start praying! I pieced the cake back together with minutes to spare. The couple had no clue the disasters their cake faced, and were absolutely thrilled with how it turned out.....

I on the other hand knew how great it looked before the fondant sagged, the ac blew and the buildings fell.

1 reply
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:20am
post #2 of 2

It sounds like you had a great recovery from really bad circumstances. I'd say you handled it well and did a great job.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%