2 Weeks Before Wedding, Bride Wants To Pay 1/2!!

Business By BuncoHappens Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 12:02pm by costumeczar

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:34am
post #31 of 56

I've always just said the deposit reserves the date. But I guess my problem is I have not set a date when all details must be finalized. But then that in itself would demand a contract...? Since you have to be able to enforce it. Huh. Guess I better change the way I do things, since now I'm sitting here in the mountains on vacation, emailing a bride, begging for finalization of details.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:54am
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm sitting here in the mountains on vacation, emailing a bride, begging for finalization of details.

Kitagrl: They call it V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N for a reason!

Please, turn around, put your hands in the air, and STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!
(at least for a while!) icon_wink.gif

But for real, enjoy your vacation, and try to get a break!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:58am
post #33 of 56
Quote:

I've always just said the deposit reserves the date. But I guess my problem is I have not set a date when all details must be finalized. But then that in itself would demand a contract...? Since you have to be able to enforce it. Huh. Guess I better change the way I do things, since now I'm sitting here in the mountains on vacation, emailing a bride, begging for finalization of details.

I've had a couple of bride's like that. But, the indecision about design didn't really effect the total price of their order (well, in one case it did) and for that case I based their deposit (which is 50%) on the higher priced design. I stipulated that final decision on design needed to be made by said date, which was 30 days before the wedding. (which is when final payment is due)

I never except a deposit without a signed contract. The two go hand in hand with me.

So in this case (the OP's bride), as far as I'm concerned I was never contracted to make this cake so I wouldn't even be contacting this bride.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:00am
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Quote:

I've had a couple of bride's like that. But, the indecision about design didn't really effect the total price of their order (well, in one case it did) and for that case I based their deposit (which is 50%) on the higher priced design. I stipulated that final decision on design needed to be made by said date, which was 30 days before the wedding. (which is when final payment is due)

I never except a deposit without a signed contract. The two go hand in hand with me.

So in this case (the OP's bride), as far as I'm concerned I was never contracted to make this cake so I wouldn't even be contacting this bride.

But if a contract is signed without a design chosen...its not really a complete contract...is it??? (Just trying to figure this out)

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #35 of 56

As long as I have # of servings, date, time, place and an overall idea of design for example, 4 tier alternating round, hex, and colors, that's all I need.

They can choose bc or fondant and even final flavors up to 30 days before.

But, as I said that has rarely happened to me. Thankfully, most have chosen the design/flavors, signed the contract and paid the deposit at the consult.

When I get a couple that's indecisive I really work hard to "help" them make a final decision right there at the consult.

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:16am
post #36 of 56

You know who gives me the most problems with flavor/design choices? My own family. lol They drive me nuts.

Sometimes I'll say "you know...this change is going to cost you big time".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #37 of 56
Quote:

As long as I have # of servings, date, time, place and an overall idea of design for example, 4 tier alternating round, hex, and colors, that's all I need.

They can choose bc or fondant and even final flavors up to 30 days before.

But, as I said that has rarely happened to me. Thankfully, most have chosen the design/flavors, signed the contract and paid the deposit at the consult.

When I get a couple that's indecisive I really work hard to "help" them make a final decision right there at the consult.

Exactly!! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #38 of 56
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But if a contract is signed without a design chosen...its not really a complete contract...is it??? (Just trying to figure this out)

I always get at least a general idea of the design, but if I have to wait until the final payment to get specifics that's fine. I put down enough detail about cake size and design on the contract at the consultation to be able to establish a price.

For example, if the bride says that she wants a different pattern piped on each tier, but isn't sure about the patterns, I just write down that there will be patterns piped on each tier. I can usually get enough detail from the general ideas that the bride is looking for to fix a price.

My retainer (not a deposit) is applied to the cost of the cake, but I collect a flat $100 for each retainer, instead of 50%. That way I don't need to know exactly what the final price will be, even though Iusually do. I don't like to give a contract out without a final price because if they're signing something it should have the price on it.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:34am
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I always get at least a general idea of the design, but if I have to wait until the final payment to get specifics that's fine. I put down enough detail about cake size and design on the contract at the consultation to be able to establish a price.

For example, if the bride says that she wants a different pattern piped on each tier, but isn't sure about the patterns, I just write down that there will be patterns piped on each tier. I can usually get enough detail from the general ideas that the bride is looking for to fix a price.

My retainer (not a deposit) is applied to the cost of the cake, but I collect a flat $100 for each retainer, instead of 50%. That way I don't need to know exactly what the final price will be, even though Iusually do. I don't like to give a contract out without a final price because if they're signing something it should have the price on it.

Right, so what happens if they don't know which design they want when the prices are different?

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #40 of 56
Quote:

Right, so what happens if they don't know which design they want when the prices are different?

I adjust the balance due at the 30 day final payment point.

The one time this happened it was a matter of $1 a serving price difference because they couldn't decide between bc or fondant.

I priced the cake with the fondant price and than just applied that (credit)/price difference to the balance due.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:40am
post #41 of 56
Quote:

This happened on my catering side pretty frequently (not sure if they want the chocolate fountain or not, etc.). I would quote them the higher price and explain, "We'll quote the higher priced package so you can plan and budget for it. should you choose not to go with that package, it's always more fun to decrease the balance due than it is to come up with extra money for something you want!"

The deposit was 50% of the quote. If they reduced the total dollar value, then they just owed me less at the 30-day mark. But we quoted "worse case scenario" and presented it to them in a "here's why it's to YOUR benefit....!" way. thumbs_up.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #42 of 56

I have a separate contract, (which they sign right away) that stipulates all the terms, conditions, etc, etc, and then a design form, which can be completed at any time up to one month out. I keep them separate b/c I often book out 12-15 months

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #43 of 56

Ohhh okay.

In this bride's case, she had two cakes. One of them, I really do not want to do, so I priced that one higher than the one I wanted to do, thinking it would make her choice easy. haha. It didn't!

Hopefully she'll reply to me VERY soon and let me wrap this up, esp as I do not get home until next week and by then, she will only have like a week and a half before payment is due.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

I have a separate contract, (which they sign right away) that stipulates all the terms, conditions, etc, etc, and then a design form, which can be completed at any time up to one month out. I keep them separate b/c I often book out 12-15 months

OHHHHH! I definitely need to do this. Definitely.

Which one contains pricing?

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #45 of 56
Quote:

Ohhh okay.

In this bride's case, she had two cakes. One of them, I really do not want to do, so I priced that one higher than the one I wanted to do, thinking it would make her choice easy. haha. It didn't!

Hopefully she'll reply to me VERY soon and let me wrap this up, esp as I do not get home until next week and by then, she will only have like a week and a half before payment is due.

So in this case I would have drawn up the contract with the higher priced design and given her until 30 days before the date to make her final decision.

If she chooses the lesser priced design, she'd owe less at her final payment.

Always, get them to sign the contract because really, at this point as of today, she could walk on you and you may not be able to book that date at such short notice.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:49am
post #46 of 56
Quote:

Quote:

Ohhh okay.

So in this case I would have drawn up the contract with the higher priced design and given her until 30 days before the date to make her final decision.

If she than chose the lesser priced design, she'd owe less at her final payment.

Always, get them to sign the contract because really, at this point as of today, she could walk on you and you may not be able to book that date at such short notice.

Very true, although most people won't walk out on $100...although I've had it happen once or twice.

I do need to revamp the way I do my contracts. Sometimes I guess things have to happen like this to show me what needs to be changed. I love the idea of a contract and a design form.

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #47 of 56

That's pretty much how I have my contract set up. Terms and conditions and a separate form for design, flavors, colors and bc/fondant choice.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:13am
post #48 of 56

In my business world, we do "modifications" to contracts all the time. If any details get changed, we create a mod specifying the changed details and both parties sign. No reason you can't do the same thing up to a few weeks before the big day.

As for the OP's dilemma, I agree with those that say to call and email first thing in the AM and let your bride know that she has by the end of the day to pay the full amount and bring or email you the signed contract. If you don't have those two items by the end of your day tomorrow, move on.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #49 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

OHHHHH! I definitely need to do this. Definitely.

Which one contains pricing?

My design and quote form has specifics, whereas my conract has their price per serving. I would be sure to have in your terms that pricing will not be finalized until final design is chosen.

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #50 of 56

I have everything on one form, but I can usually get a good idea of what type of design someone wants. I can price it accordingly, then if they want to totally redo the design I'd just write up either a new contract if it was totally drastically different, or just change the original and have everyone initial everything.

If they're stuck on two completely different designs that would be different prices, I write both descriptions with pricing on the contract, and let them decide at whatever point they want up until the final balance is due. I find that my clients like to know what they're dealing with price-wise, so I wouldn't be able to get away with saying that the final price would be determined at a later date and leaving it open. This happens a lot if someone is stuck between a square cake or a round cake, or if they're not sure if they want fondant or not. I just write both prices down so that they know what they'll be dealing with one way or the other.

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #51 of 56

I just have to say THANK YOU! to all of you who are sharing so much valuable information. I have learned so much from posts like these and I am truly grateful.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:55am
post #52 of 56

oh, and my wicked thought went again when I saw this post:
2 weeks before wedding, Bride wants to pay 1/2!!

And my answer? I want a Porsche and want to pay 1/2 too!! icon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:09am
post #53 of 56

Seems this post got a little off track. I thought this was about a bride wanting to pay 1/2 of what was actually due. Yet, somehow we got off onto a lesson on contracts instead. And, while the poster's are giving great information, quite frankly,I am more interested in finding out what is going on with the OP. Especially since it is now 24 hours later. . .

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:26am
post #54 of 56

Great responses! I've learned a few things...one is definately increase my retainer fee!

I emailed the bride this morning and called her later in the afternoon. She said that she was upset with the Groom because he said he would pay it yesterday, but didn't. I explained that I had given them a few deadlines and that I cannot accept $300 for the cake. I wished her luck and the conversation went well. About 2 hours later, the Groom called but I was not able to answer and he did not leave a message. So I figure that I don't need to call him back because he didn't leave a message or ask any questions and I finalized it with the bride, etc. I'm done!

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:34am
post #55 of 56

While I'm sorry that you won't be making any money on this cake, I think in the long run you came out ahead. Sometimes people like this are better off not being your client.

Thanks for letting us know how this turned out OP, I hope they don't bother you again.

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:02pm
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

oh, and my wicked thought went again when I saw this post:
2 weeks before wedding, Bride wants to pay 1/2!!

And my answer? I want a Porsche and want to pay 1/2 too!! icon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

I'd have given her half the cake. Cut right down the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%