Where Do I Get Supplies For This Technique?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 2:34am by ReneeFLL

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone know if a mold for 3d embellishments like the ones in the attached image can be purchased somewhere? I thought about making my own but most of the wooden pieces I would like to mold arent this fancy. What other types of materials besides wood can I use to mold something like this? Where do I get them from? I've seen some wood ones at micheals, lowes, and home depot but they are not quite this intricate.

http://ashleysbrideguide.com/images/uploads/SignatureCakes-BridalShow2011-6.jpg

13 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 14
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 14

I have both of those molds, they're super cheap!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 14

There are lots of molds on Etsy. For example:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MoldMuse

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

icon_eek.gif Uh oh. My credit card just gave me a swift kick in the rear end and said "Noooooooooooooooooo!" icon_lol.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Quote:

icon_eek.gif Uh oh. My credit card just gave me a swift kick in the rear end and said "Noooooooooooooooooo!" icon_lol.gif

ooooohh those are nice ones. Yikes, I'm with anothercaker....I'm in trouble now. lol

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 14

The only thing that keeps me from going broke on Etsy molds is my trying to decide which ones I *won't* get.
icon_biggrin.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:

Has anyone bought and used these? I am wondering how they are.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

The only thing that keeps me from going broke on Etsy molds is my trying to decide which ones I *won't* get.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, if my husband complains I'll just blame you! You can blame me! lol icon_razz.gif

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #10 of 14

Wow, what a great site on etsy. This company is only 50 mi. from my home. Here is my question; what product do I use in these molds? fondant, fondant with tylose, modeling chocolate ? ? I've never worked with molds. Thanks

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:

Has anyone bought and used these? I am wondering how they are.

I bought several of MoldMuse's molds...and I highly recommend them. Not only are they very affordable but the quality is superb. And best of all the customer service is fantastic. My rose molds were packaged in a a organza bag and well packed for shipping. great people to work with

ReneeFLL Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I bought several of MoldMuse's molds...and I highly recommend them. Not only are they very affordable but the quality is superb. And best of all the customer service is fantastic. My rose molds were packaged in a a organza bag and well packed for shipping. great people to work with

Thanks for the info. Would fondant work with the rose molds or just chocolate? If you can use fondant is it hard to get it out without damaging it?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

[

Thanks for the info. Would fondant work with the rose molds or just chocolate? If you can use fondant is it hard to get it out without damaging it?

Renee, I've used my molds with fondant, gumpaste and modeling chocolate with no problem at all. Sometimes I put the filed molds in the freezer for a few moments if my fondant, or modelling chocolate is too soft and they just pop right out. This vendor is so helpful that I suspect they will make whatever kind of mold you want. I bought the tiny roses and assorted flowers some months ago and used them on a sheet cake that the bride had ordered to suppliment her four tier cake. She worried that some guests would feel "left out" if they didn't get the "main cake" so I put a tiny flower on each of the 98 servings. I had more of the guests requesting the sheet cake just so they could have the fondant flower![/img]

ReneeFLL Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Quote:

[

Renee, I've used my molds with fondant, gumpaste and modeling chocolate with no problem at all. Sometimes I put the filed molds in the freezer for a few moments if my fondant, or modelling chocolate is too soft and they just pop right out. This vendor is so helpful that I suspect they will make whatever kind of mold you want. I bought the tiny roses and assorted flowers some months ago and used them on a sheet cake that the bride had ordered to suppliment her four tier cake. She worried that some guests would feel "left out" if they didn't get the "main cake" so I put a tiny flower on each of the 98 servings. I had more of the guests requesting the sheet cake just so they could have the fondant flower![/img]

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely have to buy some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%