Probably A Silly Question...

Decorating By CakinKimi Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm by CakinKimi

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 18

But you all have been so lovely with everything else....

Can you put butter cream decorations on a fondant (MMF) covered cake?

Also, how well does pudding work for a filling?

Thanks ladies!

17 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 18

Not sure about the filling, but you can definitely put bc over mmf. I do it all the time!

khadijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khadijah Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 18

Pudding is fine for a filling as long as you pipe a stiff buttercream dam around it. Also, I would use a thick consistency pudding, just to stay on the safe side.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 18

For the filling, pudding must be refrigerated so if you don't have room in your fridge, you should use a non-perishable filling.

Good non-perishable fillings include:
Buttercream
Jam - or jam mixed with buttercream
Sleeve fillings available at cake supply stores
Non-dairy shelf stable toppings such as Bettercream, Pastry Pride etc (these can be mixed with powdered pudding and make a great non-perishable filling) Available at cake supply stores, Smart and Final or Gordon Food supply.

I hope that helps.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 18

Use pudding cups! Pre-made ready to go=easy. And the consistency is better than the instant or cooked kind icon_biggrin.gif

CakinKimi Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks everyone! I just made the MMF, it was easier than I thought it would be but it was a lot of work...I had the AC blowing directly on me and I still got hot! LOL

And yea, I keep my fridge cleaned out just so I have room for my cakes....heheh LOL I wanted to make a Bavarian cream filling but I don't have the ingredients and don't really want to go to the store...

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 18

I did a "shop in your pantry" cream which came out similar to bavarian creme... Vanilla instant pudding and then started to add the milk a little at a time (not the amount on the box), just until I got a thickness I was happy with (remember it will continue to thicken in the fridge). Then I added extra vanilla extract. I was a real crowd pleaser, I piped it into vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting and had a bavarian cream donut!

CakinKimi Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moovaughan

I did a "shop in your pantry" cream which came out similar to bavarian creme... Vanilla instant pudding and then started to add the milk a little at a time (not the amount on the box), just until I got a thickness I was happy with (remember it will continue to thicken in the fridge). Then I added extra vanilla extract. I was a real crowd pleaser, I piped it into vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting and had a bavarian cream donut!

OOO I might do that, I have instant vanilla pudding...hmmmmm

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #9 of 18

Moovaughan: I did the "shop in your pantry" bavarian cream....soooo yummy, although I haven't been able to try it with the cake yet, still working on it. Ughhhh LOL it is currently filled and iced, just waiting for that to crust a little (and my back/feet to stop hurting) so I can roll the MMF out and put it on top...still thinking about a design. LOL I'm awful with that icon_sad.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:41am
post #10 of 18

I'm glad you liked the pantry alternative! I have to agree, the one thing I hate about this hobby/job is the standing on my feet. But it's worth it to see the faces of the people that receive our finished products. Now if your far enough along to be filling and crumb coating but just now trying to figure out the design I'm gonna put you in the EXTREME BAKERS catagory! It's a new catagory which is for bakers who design by the seat of their pants... He he he... I know whatever you come up with will be awesome, make sure you come back to this thread to post your pictureicon_smile.gif

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:59am
post #11 of 18

Yea and I don't have a table in my kitchen (it's in our dining room...but uhhh we never use it, the cat has taken it over. LOL) and I have very limited counter space (proably 1.5 feet by 1 foot total) so I have to be very creative with how I do anything in this kitchen. LOL

Unfortunately my only "customers" are my husband, and parents (and Gma and lil bro, who live with them) and they don't really care how it looks, so long as it tastes good. LOL

But I will definetly post a pic (if I can figure it out that is) when the cake is finished which won't be till tomorrow night. I'm to tired to finish it tonight and well, House is on...LOL

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 18

Ok, unless someone has a fail proof idea, I give up! Every time I try to move the fondant it rips! grrr. I've tried it 4 different times using different methods and it's ripped every time!

EDIT: Just realized after I put the crisco on the counter I should have put powdered sugar as well...duh! Gonna go try again...

EDIT #2: I got the fondant on the cake with one try! Not as good as some on here but pretty good for a first time. It would probably look better if I had better pans, but oh well. Going to go decorate it and then will *attempt* to post a pic icon_smile.gif

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 18

I also love the pudding cups! Already made and portion controlled. I've used it as filling and to make the "coffee" in my coffee cups (posted)! And the instant vanilla pudding mix/milk mixed with a coolwhip and extra vanilla gives you a creampuff filling. I use no sugar added jams and nutella too. Adds a little surprise and more interesting than all frosting/buttercream from time to time.

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf

I also love the pudding cups! Already made and portion controlled. I've used it as filling and to make the "coffee" in my coffee cups (posted)! And the instant vanilla pudding mix/milk mixed with a coolwhip and extra vanilla gives you a creampuff filling. I use no sugar added jams and nutella too. Adds a little surprise and more interesting than all frosting/buttercream from time to time.

I agree, just plain butter cream gets boring...but I don't like fruit fillings...on pretty much anything. LOL so I wanted to try a pudding or some sort of cream filling, it turned out pretty good! And that's funny, I was just thinking that I bet vanilla pudding would be good with cool whip...too bad I just threw out almost a full container....but uhmmm I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been too tasty with mold on it. Ooops LOL.

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 18

Here's the finished cake. As usual, it's not what I had in mind when I started decorating...I never can get this right. Grr...and I'm just now noticing how off-center it all is...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2105577

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 18

Pudding is great for a filling. I use it all the time. Just make sure you use a thick pudding, and also pipe buttercream around the edge of each layer to keep the filling in. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #17 of 18

You can make pudding with heavy cream instead of milk and it'll be much thicker, and taste great...

In fact, I posted about making 7 filling recipes (well half-recipes) just to sample...
The top 2 were the easiest & least expensive...vanilla pudding & white chocolate pudding, both made with h. cream...
The 3rd best was this one: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7607/easy-bavarian-cream

That is until the next day...
Once the flavors had a chance to "marry", the bavarian cream jumped to number 1, for me...
I absolutely loved it!
It's still my favorite, to this day...I now use half-and-half instead of milk, but everything else is the same...
(If you read the comments, people are subbing h. cream for the Cool-Whip ...I don't like Cool Whip on its own, but in this...heaven!)

CakinKimi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

You can make pudding with heavy cream instead of milk and it'll be much thicker, and taste great...

In fact, I posted about making 7 filling recipes (well half-recipes) just to sample...
The top 2 were the easiest & least expensive...vanilla pudding & white chocolate pudding, both made with h. cream...
The 3rd best was this one: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7607/easy-bavarian-cream

That is until the next day...
Once the flavors had a chance to "marry", the bavarian cream jumped to number 1, for me...
I absolutely loved it!
It's still my favorite, to this day...I now use half-and-half instead of milk, but everything else is the same...
(If you read the comments, people are subbing h. cream for the Cool-Whip ...I don't like Cool Whip on its own, but in this...heaven!)

MM that sounds soooo good. Kinda makes me want to say "screw the homework" and go make another cake. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%