Matte Buttercream

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 1:43pm by Nazarine

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 4

I am practicing getting my BC smooth. Right now, I'm using Indydeb's recipe and the Viva method. I'm getting better but I'm running into another problem - shiny buttercream. I don't mind a little shine but last night I tried a teal colored buttercream and after smoothing, it had a wicked shine on it. I'm thinking the shininess actually highlights the flaws! Any ideas on cutting back the shine?

BTW, buttercream is super challenging for me and I'm not proud of myself, but I feel I can share with you guys. Last night, I called the BC a bad, bad word. Yup. I told it off...BIG TIME. Sigh. I'm not going to stop practicing but it can be frustrating!

3 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 4

Are you icing a cold cake? If you are, it might be condensation that is making your cake shiny. Or are your hands warm and you're using them to smooth with the Viva? This could be softening the icing too much, making the surface too smooth, which will give it a shiny appearance.

I ask these questions because I don't get a shine when I use Indy's recipe unless I do one of these two things. Under normal circumstances, her icing is matte.

Something that may help...I often prefer a paper towel other than Viva. One that has a little dotted texture to it. I think this works better to hide flaws, gives it a softer, organic look that works well for me as the background for my decorations. It helps everything blend in together and not look so stark against a mirror smooth buttercream. The only time I use Viva is for a more sophisticated/elegant cake that doesn't have a lot of decorations and the smoothness of the buttercream is actually a feature of the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 4

I use the Melvira method with the foam roller and don't end up with shiny buttercream.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 4

Hmmm. Definitely not icing a cold cake. But the hot hands thing might be it. I used a fondant smoother over the Viva yesterday but it was hot in the house and I was working it a long time. Maybe I just need to be faster so the BC doesn't soften so much.

I bought a roller for the Melvira method but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time. I really want to get better at BC!

As always, thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%