Getting Cake Smooth

Decorating By nhillis07 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm by EvArt

nhillis07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhillis07 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #1 of 10

Hey all...I am new to cake decorating and am needing some tips/ideas on how to get cakes perfectly smooth! I have tried the getting as smooth as possible then going over it with a Vive napkin and fondant smoother...are there any other ideas out there? Does it just take a lot of practice? Thanks!

9 replies
ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:48am
post #2 of 10

Are you working with butter cream or fondant?

nhillis07 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 10

Buttercream...I have been letting it harden for a bit then going back over it with the napkin and fodant smoother.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:18am
post #4 of 10

instead of viva did u try parchment paper?

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #5 of 10

Don't let it sit too long or it doesn't work as well. I usually do it about 5-10 min after I ice a cake. I also use a piece of copy paper. Do you use a bench scraper? that will make less lines in the sides of the cake as well.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #6 of 10

Try the Melvira method. Take a high density foam roller to the icing after letting it crust slightly. Same principle as with the viva towel. The roller works much faster for me.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:36am
post #7 of 10

I highly recommend Sharon Z(ska sugarshack)'s Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD at www.sugaredproductions.com It has made a huge difference in the smoothness and quality of my decorating. Your buttercream recipe also makes a difference. The two most popular are SugarShack's and Indydebi's. If you have access to hi-ratio shortening I recommend Sugarshack's. If not, Indydebi's is also very good.

nhillis07 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:56am
post #8 of 10

Yes I do use a bench scraper...
I will try to roller method next time to see if it helps and I will also try the parchment paper!
Thanks so much for the ideas!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:38am
post #9 of 10

You are on the right track. What kind of BC are you using. I found that BC with Hi Ratio Shortening works the best.

Search Sharon Zambito. She is an amazing cake artist. She has a lot of DVD tutorials that will help.

Here is a cake I did with her methods...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2104267

HTH

Michael

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Try the Melvira method. Take a high density foam roller to the icing after letting it crust slightly. Same principle as with the viva towel. The roller works much faster for me.

I tried this with my first wedding cake a couple of months ago and it works really well!! i loved it and a roller is now an essential can't do without it tool. I got mine at Lowe's, it's a white foam roller about an inch or so in diameter and about 4" long. Use it dry!! And make sure your BC has crusted a bit before using it or it will just pick up the frosting and make a mess of your work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%