How To Question (Picture Provided)

Decorating By pinkorchid Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm by gmfcakes

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 19

A bride emailed me this picture (wish I knew where it came from, but she saved it from google images I believe). My plan is to cover it in fondant - I think it might be covered in bc here. Make the "dots" in RI. I haven't found larger (6-8mm) sugar pearls so I was thinking of making fondant balls covered in pearl dust for the larger ones.

Is that how you would do it? Will the RI stick good enough to fondant? Would love any pointers. Thank you in advance!

Image[/img]

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 19

That much royal icing could be a tooth breakericon_sad.gif
I'm a b'cream gal.....I'd do the whole thing in b'cream. Maybe make the largest pearl from fondant.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 19

I am a butter cream girl as well. I would do the largest pearl with number 12 tip.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 19

country kitchen sweet art has the larger pearls and their prices are really good with fast shipping (using ground!) I'd use those for the largest pearl.

pinkorchid Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 19

Buttercream it is!! Thank you, I figured RI might hold better... guess it really wouldn't matter.

I will check country kitchen out - thank you! I'm in canada and have had good luck with Golda's Kitchen but they are out of the larger ones icon_sad.gif

I really appreciate all of your input icon_smile.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 19

the great advantage of fondant pearls is that they don't break the teeth. They stay firm yet soft to the bite.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 19

pinkorchid, this cake is gorgeous! Here's the link to a cake that's nearly identical. http://www.brides.com/wedding-ideas/wedding-cakes/2010/11/white-wedding-cakes-04

Please post a pic of your cake after you finish...would love to see it!!

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:00am
post #8 of 19

i've used large grade tapioca pearls for "sugar" pearls as well. throw them in a baggy with some pearl powder and a touch of vodka, and toss to coat, then let them dry on a sheet pan. saves you the time of rolling or piping. and if you use different sizes of tapioca you can just mix them all together to get the look you want.

pinkorchid Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:26am
post #9 of 19

Swede-cakes - that one is gorgeous too!!

pastrygirls - have never seen those, I'll have to check around. Thank you.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:37am
post #10 of 19

Pastrygirls, I wish it wasn't 10 pm and no open store within 100 miles because I would set out looking for the large pearl tapioca. What a great idea. Thanks

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:04am
post #11 of 19

Earlene has directions for making fondant pearls. http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:49am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Earlene has directions for making fondant pearls. http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

Thanks so much for the directions! I bookmarked it for future reference. icon_smile.gif

pinkorchid Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:48am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutzy_baker

Quote:

Thanks so much for the directions! I bookmarked it for future reference. icon_smile.gif

^^Ditto!

Tapioca pearls, would I find those in bulk food stores? Or can you sometimes get them at grocery stores (pre-packaged)?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkorchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutzy_baker

Quote:

^^Ditto!

Tapioca pearls, would I find those in bulk food stores? Or can you sometimes get them at grocery stores (pre-packaged)?

I tried looking for tapioca pearls in grocery stores for a halloween project last fall and could not find them. if you do find some let me know

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 19

Tapioca may be by the soup section,comes in a box. Other stores carry it by the Jello section.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 19

I get all of my tapioca pearls from Boba Tea Direct, and they do ship out of the 48 states, to Alaska Hawaii and Canada. I also get my bubble tea straws from them when I am not using SPS.
HTH

http://www.bobateadirect.com/Boba-Tapioca-Pearls-c-1.html

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 19

All buttercream and then airbrush sprayed with pearl, Lovely!!!! Good Luck

GinnyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinnyK Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 19

I get my big tapioca pearls at a large Asian market in Omaha. Cheap, too.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 19

Great tutorial.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%