What Would You Charge?

Decorating By EvArt Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm still learning to set my prices. Especially for non-friends/family. lol I just made my 2nd wedding cake last weekend for a friend's wedding and got a request to do a similar cake in November for one of her relatives. So I am curious as to how much YOU might have charged for this cake? And it's easier for me to give you my CC link since it already has all of the details on it:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2101132

I normally use several friend's advice and charge the cost of my supplies x 3 giving me a price for a cake. And I only charged my friend $200 to do this wedding cake, but it was also my gift to her.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

7 replies
brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 8

For me, I charge $4.25 and up per serving for tiered cakes. With those cake sizes, that would have been 196 servings bringing the total to $833. The ribbons and "bling" would have been extra.

Take in mind, I am also of the thought that dummy tier or not, it takes the same amount of time to decorate the cake. Dummy tiers in my parts do not come cheap, especially a 14" one.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

The times three thing doesn't really work. Your labor is going to add up way more than your supply cost.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

I would charge $4 per serving plus the cost of the bling and rental for the base icon_smile.gif. More if it was premium flavours. ditto what brenda549 said about the dummy tiers - to me its not really a cost saver by the time I order it etc.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 8

$3.25 per serving, plus bling, -10% for the dummy tier, only.

EvArt Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the input ladies. I really appreciate it. I need my cakes to start paying decently since I've quit substitute teaching. :^)

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 8

I charge top dollar per serving and any "additional" gumpaste flowers, ribbons, or modeled items are extra depending how long it took to make the item as roses take so much longer to create then gumpaste ribbons for instance. I add additional costs for delivery, base rental, special ingredients and/or special filling.

If they are a pain in the neck, I charge even more than usual as I don't like dealing with difficult people. "Yes, I am serious!" When they start changing the order then I start changing my prices.

Each market and what it can bear is different for all parts of the USA. I do not compare myself to the local bakery in prices either as I do custom cakes and they are one of a kind from scratch and definitely more costly you must admit ingredients and fondant is expensive!. I charge steeply for my talent also as not everyone can do what we do.

Your cake is lovely! Charging only $200 was a fabulous gift!!!!!!!!!

EvArt Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you tiptop57.
I know most of decorations were not edible, and that some may think that wrong, but I was/am very proud of that last cake. I think it was my prettiest cake to date and everyone raved over it. I may have even walked away with another wedding cake order for later this year!!
I am learning to take care of myself and charge what my work is worth. It is absolutely amazing to me that people don't seem to take into consideration the amount of work and talent that goes into making cakes like we do.

I appreciate all of the feed back that I get from everyone here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%