Your Go To Buttercream

Decorating By sugarmommacakes Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 12:16am by Mme_K

sugarmommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommacakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 7

As much as I love my buttercream I think it's time to retire it. I haven't been extremely happy with the way it smooths and it just isn't "right" KWIM??
I need something that smooths out alot better than mine does and that has a better consistancy than mine.

If you could please direct me to a site or even share your recipe that would be fantastic!!
Thanks so much!!

6 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

I use this one http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2123/buttercream-dream

It does NOT hold up under extreme heat or humidity though. So during the summer I use a shortening based icing like the Wilton recipe http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Snow-White-Buttercream-Icing

My friends/family don't like that one as much as the butter based recipe but when it's 100+ outside that's what they are going to get icon_wink.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 7

While I'm sometimes forced to use a crusting "buttercream" for certain weather conditions, I generally don't care for American buttercreams. My go to buttercream is Swiss Meringue buttercream. Real butter, sugar syrup and egg whites. It's smoother and airier than the American version. I add liqueur to the mix and wait a day before frosting so the flavours meld. I also usually add fruit puree, curd or chocolate for added flavour. It's stable in hot and fairly humid weather and can be smoothed to resemble fondant.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

SMBC for me too.

cakesbyashli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyashli Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 7

This is what i use for all my cakes. not soo sweet but very good. like icecream.

1.5 C sugar (345 g)
3/4 C whole milk (6 oz)
1.5 T all purpose flour
1 T vanilla ext (or any other flavor)
3 oz Heavy cream
1 1/4 lb butter (567 g)
make a custard by heat sugar and milk in sauce pan over med heat until sugar is completely dissolved. remove from heat and whisk in flour and vanilla. let cool completely. (i pop it in the freezer for a few minutes covered with seran wrap)
In mixing bowl add the custard, butter and cream. beat on med speed until creamy. it may look soupy or curdeled at first, but keep beating a good 10-12 minutes or even longer until smooth.
very very yummy!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7

I use an American style crusting buttercream, but I'm in the Cayman Islands where its hot all year round so I need something that won't melt! I definitely want to give swiss meringue and italian meringue and french buttercream a try as they all sound gorgeous in the mouth, but I'm going to wait until it gets a little cooler (aka high 70s for me!) before I give it a try.

My basic buttercream is:
1 C shortening
1/2 C butter
1/4 C heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp flavouring (vanilla, almond, lemon - whatever you like)
2 lbs powdered sugar

I put the butter and shortening into the mixer, followed by the entire 2lbs of sugar and then top it off with the flavourings and the heavy whipping cream. Set it on low and let it mix for 3-5 minutes. If its too stiff, I add a little more cream, if its too runny, I add a little bit of powdered sugar (about 1/4 cup at a time) until the desired consistency is acheived. I always get raves about how great my bc tastes! I hope this helps!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

I use Indydebi's BC all the time and everybody loves it. Here's a thread about how well it stands up in the heat:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6873024.html#6873024

This is the link to the recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing
There are several threads on here about her icing.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%