How Do I Make Lemon Smbc/imbc?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have SMBC already made, but I want to make it lemon flavored for a filling. Can I do that without ruining the structural integrity of it to hold up in layers??

Thanks!

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

Just add lemon extract or lemon oil.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 7

i add lemon curd to my smbc. very yummy.

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

April: I have lemon Jello Cook & Serve or I have materials to make curd from scratch. Which would you do?

Annie: I'm not sure I have lemon extract on hand. Would that mess up the liquid ratio? Should I add powdered sugar?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 7

Aaah! No powdered sugar. icon_smile.gif It should be fine. Listen, I add three tablespoons, that's right, tablespoons of vanilla to my IMBC.

You should be fine to add your extract. Just add a couple of teaspoons (lemon is very strong!) and then taste it to see if it needs more.

As for lemon curd, I buy the glass jar of Dickenson's at my Wal Mart. It's expensive but it's good. I used it to fill one of my tiers of my wedding cake. I mixed it with the IMBC and it was good. I definitely wouldn't use Jell-O though.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 7

If I am using the curd to add to SMBC, I do what AnnieCahill does and use Dickensons, it's nice and tart. If it is a filling for a cake that is curd alone, I make it from scratch.

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 7

I DO have lemon extract!!! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%