Help With 3D Dora Cake

Decorating By gingersnapp Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm by Kiddiekakes

gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Wise Cake people

I have a customer who really wants me to make her a Dora cake that she saw on flicker and i have no idea how to do the head. Naturally i want to do it too because last year when i did her cake i got a ton of orders from people that attended the party. So this year she wants me to do her cake again. I really want to give her a great cake but am at a lost.

Does anyone know how this cake was done? i was thinking maybe it was the ball pan but not sure where to begin. Please help me out..

And also i charge $6 per slice for cakes, do you think i should charge more if i was able to make this cake? the cake is for 30 ppl. and she also wants a boots cake to go with it. so she wants two cakes to feed 30 people
Any thoughts on this cake will be helpful,
Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poptasi/5947632837/[/img]

4 replies
Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

I would make the head out of RKT.

ladyt121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyt121 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 5

make the head out of rkt and cover with fondant the body looks like the doll dress pan if u have that pan then use it other wise carve rounds they have a face mask at partycity for .99 u could also buy that and use it as a mold so that yr demensions r better i have a dora cake due on the 6th of august good luck

gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 5

Wow my cake is due on the 7th-lol good luck with yours.

Thank you so much for the ideas. i have never used RKT before, how does it work? sadly there is no party city in my area so i think i am going to print some images online.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

Make the head from RKT and poke a dowel through 3/4 head and glue it with candy melt chocolate.Sharpen the other end to poke down through the cake.This is exactly how I made my Buddha head and it worked great.Very solid.I used the recipe for Durable chocolate cake for 3D cakes from here and it is excellent for carving..very little crumbs and the cake is moist and dense and very chocolatey.Holds fondant very well.You need to cover the head once/twice or so as the fondant tends to show the uneven bumps of the RKT underneath if you don't..That is why I ended up making a helmut for my buddha cause his bald head was too lumpy.LOL...After that it should be very easy..

Also $6.00 is a good price per serving to charge for 3D cakes..I charge $5.00..So a cake to feed 30 should be about $300.00 each cake if they want each cake to feed 30.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%