How Do You Practice All These Yummy Flavors?

Decorating By MommyLovesChocolate Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm by CheChe18

MommyLovesChocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyLovesChocolate Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 18

I see all these great flavors and I want to try them all. How do you practice making and decorating different cakes and more importantly, what do you do with all the cakes so you don't eat them all?

I've thought about making 6" cakes, but what to do with the extra batter? Do you cut recipes in half to try them out? I've been using the doctored cake mix recipes, not scratch.

Thanks!

17 replies
theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 18

I'm new to this so for what it's worth, what i do is daydream/ fantasize all day about cakes. I then ponder and think who's having a party or a get together. I then offer to make a cake somehow. I then try to decide which one of my fantasies will I make a reality.

I did make a cake for the heck of it over the weekend to practice MMF and I ate a slice (and a couple of bites more icon_cool.gif ) and brought the rest to work the next day. Get it out of my face ASAP!

I seem to be getting the itch alot more frequently lately and that scares me. I cannot afford to eat cake like that!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 18

I have cake-making fever too, but I'm diabetic! I make a cake that I want to try out and then take it to work--they'll eat anything! (and tell me the truth).

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 18

When I test out a new recipe I make cupcakes. I bring the extras to family and friends for them to tell me what they think so there not wasted, and I am getting various opinions on the recipe. I usually will do 3 to 4 recipes at a time so I can split them into a variety to taste. When I want to practice decorating. I use my square or circle foam decorating dummy cakes. You can cover them decorate them, photograph, then remove and try something new. And your not making tons of cake.

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

I'm new to this so for what it's worth, what i do is daydream/ fantasize all day about cakes. I then ponder and think who's having a party or a get together. I then offer to make a cake somehow. I then try to decide which one of my fantasies will I make a reality.

haha I do the exact same! thumbs_up.gif

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

haha I do the exact same! thumbs_up.gif

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!!!!!

And to the original poster...I have taken them to work or neighbors. However, I should do that or learn from suggestions others give you here. I've gained about 20 lbs in two years....guess I'm eating too much of it!!

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo4ab

And to the original poster...I have taken them to work or neighbors. However, I should do that or learn from suggestions others give you here. I've gained about 20 lbs in two years....guess I'm eating too much of it!!

I was taking them to work, than I left my full time job at a big company where I could share about 10 months ago, and now just share with neighbours. I've gained 40 lbs and now I have to loose it all icon_sad.gif But everything tastes so good, it's soooo hard!

I think when school starts back up, I'll ship the extras to the kids classes!

MommyLovesChocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyLovesChocolate Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 18

icon_cry.gif The weight gain is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I love cake and I don't work, so it would be staring at me all day.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 18

BTW you can freeze leftover batter!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 18

I was experimenting with my church; they have a wed. night meal and they would let me bring them up there.

You might find a local firehouse and see if they take cake donations. icon_smile.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 18

Of the 51 cakes in my photos, 41 went straight from my kitchen to my neighbor's house. Of those 41 only 7 were cakes that were planned in advance (for birthdays and a house warming gift). When I have a cake idea that I feel I must try, or a recipe that I want to test, I do it up and then call them to come and get their dessert. They've never refused yet, and the boys (11 and 12) are becoming quite expert at discussing texture and flavor and don't hesitate to offer detailed criticism and praise where its warranted. Since I live all the way across the country from my family and my kids, and since my husband is on the road much of the time, and since I'm diabetic my taste testers next door work out really well for me, and they aren't complaining either. Of course, they're going to really miss me when the house finally sells and I move closer to my kids.

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 18

My co-workers are my guinea pigs. Anytime I want to try a new flavor or technique I take it to work and can count on them to give me honest, contsructive feedback. I have had a few flops, but for the most part they have liked everything I have made.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Of the 51 cakes in my photos, 41 went straight from my kitchen to my neighbor's house. Of those 41 only 7 were cakes that were planned in advance (for birthdays and a house warming gift). When I have a cake idea that I feel I must try, or a recipe that I want to test, I do it up and then call them to come and get their dessert. They've never refused yet, and the boys (11 and 12) are becoming quite expert at discussing texture and flavor and don't hesitate to offer detailed criticism and praise where its warranted. Since I live all the way across the country from my family and my kids, and since my husband is on the road much of the time, and since I'm diabetic my taste testers next door work out really well for me, and they aren't complaining either. Of course, they're going to really miss me when the house finally sells and I move closer to my kids.

thats such a lovely story! and a shame you are moving! would you care to tell us where your moving too so i can move in next door XD lol

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 18

I hope to be moving from the province of Quebec (which I love) to the province of Manitoba (which I also love because its "home"). Since my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer I'm really missing my grown up kids and grand kids, and since my DH is willing to move the world for me if he can, he decided that we ought to put the house up and move closer to my family. Of course the fact that we're in the suburbs and the developers have bought on three sides of us to put in apartments and mini malls has helped his decision along.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 18

I ponder the same question all the time. My DH has the issues with me making too many cakes because we end up eating it and he gains the weight (not me). As a matter of fact, just this morning I thought about testing a coconut cake with mango filling just because I know he won't eat it (he hates coconut).

I look for any excuse for get togethers and birthdays. Not to mention my kids are following in my footseps as sugar addicts. I'm thinking about doing just 6" cakes too.

Look into local shelters, churches and food pantries. They'll usually welcome cakes.

pettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettycakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 18

My "problem" is that I work in a bakery so when I find a new recipe or design that I want to try I have nowhere to take it. Something sweet is the last thing they want brought in to eat. It has its advantages though, I am allowed to try new recipes and techniques most of the time.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 18

I just make things and take them to work. I usually make cupcakes instead of a cake, so I can use the whole recipe, and then pass them around or leave them in the lunchroom. They get devoured by the end of the day.

I make free cakes a lot for fam and friends, I will usually use them as an experiment if they ask for a cake and the flavor idea falls within their general preference. I figure they are getting a free cake...they can put up with a little experimentation. LOL

CheChe18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheChe18 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKConfections

When I test out a new recipe I make cupcakes. I bring the extras to family and friends for them to tell me what they think so there not wasted, and I am getting various opinions on the recipe. I usually will do 3 to 4 recipes at a time so I can split them into a variety to taste. When I want to practice decorating. I use my square or circle foam decorating dummy cakes. You can cover them decorate them, photograph, then remove and try something new. And your not making tons of cake.

Excellent Idea. I want to practice just without having to make a cake all the time to do it. My roommates don't mind,however we are on a mission to try to lose weight, and cake isn't exactly a diet food..lol Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%