Cust Wants A Burgundy Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweetcakes2005 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm by JenTwirl

sweetcakes2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2005 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have a customer who wants her entire 4 tier cake to be iced in burgundy with fall color (dk brown, light brown, orange, yellow, and olive green) fondant accents. She also wants a pair of bright red fondant lovebirds. I told her that I would have some serious issues with this because she and all her guests will have red teeth by the time they are done with their cake. ...and the colors would likely clash. This is accurate, right??? She said she would settle for a cream/ivory colored cake with a burgundy fondant ribbon at the base, but it's not her first choice. Can you all offer any suggestions?

5 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

I did my daughters grad cake in my pics and I used burgundy color to try to color the fondant and ended up with purple, so I used my airbrush and mixed some red and a little blue and airbrushed it and got the burgundy fo her school color. The teeth didnt get colored burgundy lol! But I was thinking the same thing you were before it got eaten!

sweetcakes2005 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

@Bakingatthebeach - I think one difference between what I'm thinking and your grad cake (which is beautiful, btw) is that you used burgundy fondant on top of (what?) white icing? I will be icing the entire cake in buttercream and just adding fondant accents. Still need thoughts....

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

I think airbrushing would be the only way to achieve that color without teeth turning colors. As for colors clashing, I would draw out the cake and color it in with markers or colored pencils and see what she thinks of it before proceeding.

sweetcakes2005 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 6

Unfortunately, airbrushing is not an option since I don't own one and don't have any immediate plans to purchase one.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 6

What about covering the whole cake in burgundy fondant? You may get your colors to coordinate better if you just did the whole cake in fondant. That way, you shouldn't have to worry about red teeth, and there will still be white icing under the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%