Chocolate Cake Going Stale

Decorating By 1Robyn1 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:58am by 1Robyn1

1Robyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Robyn1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:37am
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
This is my first post so please bear with me.
I am doing a chocolate wedding cake this weekend. They want it delivered to them on friday morning but the wedding isnt til saturday.
The problem is that they only want buttercream on it no fondant or sugarpaste. I would normally bake it tonight, decorate tomorrow ready for Friday but wont the cake go stale by saturday if it doesnt have the sugarpaste to seal it?
Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Bex

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:50am
post #2 of 5

What sort of cake recipe do you use? They vary so much. I know a chocolate mud cake would be fine, but they are typically very moist/dense cakes to start with.

1Robyn1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:47am
post #3 of 5

Its really just a chocolate Madeira cake. Is there a recipe for the mud cake?

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:53am
post #4 of 5

I don't think you need the sugarpaste to seal it. Any frosting will do that. I frost with just buttercream all the time and it stays fresh for days. If your cake recipe stays fresh with fondant, then it will stay fresh with buttercream as well.

1Robyn1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:58am
post #5 of 5

If you think it will be fine then that is great. It has taken me ages to get my choc cake just right and the thought of trying a new recipe now fills me with dread. It is a moist cake and it will have buttercream running through it too. I was just worried it might dry out.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%