Putting Ribbon On Bc

Decorating By Kimenem Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 2:15am by Kimenem

Kimenem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimenem Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 7

After finding myself drawn to this site numerous times for tips and ideas, I have finally signed up. I don't like to use non-edibles on cakes, but I need to decorate with a gold band around a cake and am worried painting gold on BC will not work. I thought about painting a fondant band but it's a wide strip and I don't want brush streaks. A friend suggested using ribbon, applied with BC "dots" to the crusted BC base. Do I need to use a certain kind of ribbon or worry about color seepage? usaribbon.gif

6 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

When I do ribbon on buttercream I used double sided tape and attach wax paper to the back of the ribbon so the oils from the bc won't seep and stain the ribbon . I have also heard to used double sided ribbon to prevent the stains, but I haven't tried that.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7

I have tried the double sided tape with wax paper method. I dont care for this because the ribbon tends to pucker and if you dont cut the wax paper just a smidge larger than the ribbon the buttercream will still seep into your ribbon. I recommend double faced ribbon

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 7

I found a tip here on CC to rub shortening on the back of the ribbon and it has worked every time I've used it. No bleeding and way easier then the dbl tape method. HTH

nicunurse Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 7

I found a tip here on CC to rub shortening on the back of the ribbon and it has worked every time I've used it. No bleeding and way easier then the dbl tape method. HTH

nicunurse Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 7

Kimenem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimenem Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:15am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the ideas. I was worried the gold ribbon might "bleed" onto the white BC. I hadn't thought of the BC seeping into the ribbon. I have gotten sooooo much help from this site. Don't know much about who started or runs it, but very thankful it's here.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%