Penguin Cake

Decorating By sweetviolent Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 3:42am by Derby

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 11

any a penguin theories on constructing cake? I don't have a bear pan set although i could get one any other ideas??? It needs to serve around 20 -although it could "perch" on another cake too!!! Thanks

10 replies
zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 11

I made a penguin out of the star pan - its in my photos. That might work but its not a 3D cake. HTH

sweetviolent Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 11

i saw that and it is soooo cute , unfortunately the girl wants a 3d little guy- thanks though!!!

sweetviolent Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 11

ok - i'll try againicon_smile.gif- do you guys think it would be easier w/ 2 1/2 's of the egg pan stuck together with frosting and will it stay??

or .... carving a series of stacked cakes????

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 11

Hi!

Have you considered stacking (6 or 8 inch rounds - maybe 2-3 and topping it with a ball pan or pyrex bowl shape ontop? You may have to carve them a little. Then make the wings and beak and feet out of fondant or covered rice crispies.

Sounds like a fun cake...Good luck!

Kim

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 11

I just made one for my grandson's bday. I used a mini doll mold/pan and made a cake ball bigger than normal. Sorry no pix here yet, but it was easy. We placed it on an 8x3 cake. He loved it. It was easy to ice. I iced the two parts together white, then iped on the black and spread it over the white, added the beak n feet. I was able to do this with my right hand in a cast. So it had to be easy.

sweetviolent Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 11

thanks guys great ideas- unfortunately i dont have the doll pans either!!
do you think i could stack the 6" rounds w/out needing cardboard and supports and then carve.
i was thinking i could do two of the big egg(football) pans and glue w/ bc and cutoff the bottom so it would stand. maybe carve the top a little and then do fondant "accesories" icon_smile.gif what do you think??

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 11

If you stacked 6" or 8" rounds more than 2 or three high I think you'd definatly need supports. And I'm thinking you'd probablyneed at least 4-6" cakes... probably more, to get it to a proportionate hight.
The eff/football thing *might* work, but I've personaly always been scared of trying do "glue" two big pieces of cake together like that. If you DO go that route, make sure you use a REALLY stable type of cake. DON'T use a mix (or at least doctor it a LOT... IDK). A pound cake would probably be best.

When is this cake due? I really think your best bet would be to break down and buy a 3-D bear or doll pan... but you might be totaly fine. Good luck!

danny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danny Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 11

i would use support just to be on the safe side. i would go for 8" or 9" cakes so you have a little extra for carving!!!!!

sweetviolent Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:39am
post #10 of 11

thanks guys- i so wish i had bought the bear pan the last time i was at michaels- but i wont be able to get there now-its to far away and too short on time sooo i will have to improvise!!
thanks for the good ideas

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:42am
post #11 of 11

Good luck! It sounds like a ton of fun!! I wimped out on my penguin cake (see in my photos). I used the Happy Feet party invitation and printed an edible image. The order was sorta last minute and I take FOREVER to think about and contemplate a cake.

Can't wait to see yours!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%