Renting A Commercial Kitchen In The Same County??

Business By sarahsweetcakes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:30am by sarahsweetcakes

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:28am
post #1 of 7

Can you bake in a commercial kitchen and transport your cake/cupcakes into a store front in a different county, or does everything have to be in the same county?

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:43am
post #2 of 7

When you cross the line, you need to comply with the second county's requirements. In my area, I work out of two states, so two counties. I must comply with both. The two are very similar, and the things MD added made sense, so I adapted it to all of my business. Don't forget your separate business license and sales tax license.

The storefront is going to come with a whole set of requirements from the health department, plus a separate license. I am going through this now.

If it is not your store, you need to apply for a wholesale license in both areas in addition to your commercial kitchen license. Most areas require separate liensing because it is a different set of requirements, such as food safety, labeling, and packaging.

sarahsweetcakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:35am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I am still in the planning stages, but the closest commercial kitchen I can find to the area I want to open a store front is about a half hour away. I wondering if it would be easier to just find a space I can convert into a bakery?

scp1127 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:12am
post #4 of 7

I didn't see that you were in Germany. This is how it works in the states, but I would think that if you are in two jurisdictions, both must be followed. Good luck.

sarahsweetcakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 7

Oh, I'll only be here for another year. My shop will actually be in Kentucky. My sister/business partner is helping me out in the states, but neither of us have ever had our own business before. So I'm trying to do research, but finding it hard to find out everything I need to know just by google searching. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:46am
post #6 of 7

I have what I think is a great sitution, and worth considering. I have a separate commercial kitchen in part of my house, so I have the convenience of working when I want. The retail space will be for sales only. A little more work, but not as much as a kitchen and retail establishment in one. It also make me able to look for a very small space to rent with no kitchen, so very little comparative rent expense.

Good luck in your move. My daughter is leaving to move for KY in the morning. Her husband is now stationed at Ft. Knox. Any chance you are a military family too? Just guessing because you are in Germany now.

sarahsweetcakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:30am
post #7 of 7

Yes we are a military family too!! I would love to be stationed in Kentucky as that's where we are originally from and where we are going to settle down. My husband has requested Kentucky for our next duty station, but not sure if we will get it. That's where my sister comes in handy, once we finally open, she will run things while I'm not there.

I'm spending the time here in Germany perfecting my recipes and doing lots of research!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%