Fishing Theme Cake Help!!!!!!

Decorating By southernmommy22 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:56am by dreamacres

southernmommy22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernmommy22 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:24am
post #1 of 5

I am making a fishing theme cake for my husbands surprise party. I want a pond and going to use piping gel(recipe with unflavored gelatin, cold water,
light Karo syrup) the res of the cake green frosting, My husband only likes the whipped icing (others are to sweet). The only issue i am having is how to do the pond. I only get 1 shot at this and don't want the pond running over the side of the cake. So what i would like to do is keep the gel off the cake maybe make some fondant (i've made the fondant before) shape the fondant the like the pond i want, then take some of cake out for pond. My question is can i use the fondant i don't want it to start leaking,some one told me that the fondant wont hold the gel??? If the fondant wont work what can i use? Also if fondant works should i dye it blue i want the pond to look deep not white underneath.Also any tips for fishing theme cake would be great.

4 replies
dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:45am
post #2 of 5

I made a fishing cake with a horseshoe pan and put the pond in the middle of the horse shoe. Sorry I don't know how to get the pictures from youtube. Here is the link. It is at the 4.40 time mark.

southernmommy22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernmommy22 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:49am
post #3 of 5

How did you do your pond? What did you use to get the water dark?

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:52am
post #4 of 5

Hi,
I didnt cut any fondant or cake away, just marked lightly where i wanted the water and used buttercream in various blue shades... then using a small knife pull the water peaks in the directions the water should flow. By adding grass and rocks on around the edge, i don't think i needed to cut into the cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2029155/2029160
sam x

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:56am
post #5 of 5

On the fishing cake I just colored piping gel. Since the pond was in the middle it would not be served. On the Cliff cake I brushed the colored fondant with piping gel to add the sheen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%