Why Would Someone Do This??!

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:38am
post #1 of 40

I went to the party I made the cake for and there is the cake I made thrown off to the side slanted on some chair, any ideas??? Just venting.

39 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:03am
post #2 of 40

Didn't you ask why? Was there also another cake there (baked by another baker)?

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:07am
post #3 of 40

Yes, I would've asked why my poor cake was getting such poor treatment! Did they know you were bringing a cake? If they already had one, maybe the other baker wanted to be the only baker...

cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:27am
post #4 of 40

No other cake, it was a minnie mouse themed party- I keep trying to upload the picture but it's not coming out, when I got there there was some puckering BECAUSE it was on a plastic chair, it made me look bad, the grandma picked it up and had already deliverd it but wasnt there so I could ask her what was going on but I did tell them it wasnt supposed to be sitting on a chair like that, they didnt seem to be concerned about it and said "It happens, its melting" It wasnt even hot, I just dont understand they had room to put it on a table too, it didnt seem to concern them, I worked all night on that cake, over 16 hours all together (maybe I work slow) but dang it man!

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:31am
post #5 of 40

yikes. you would think common sense would let people know that a slanted seat is not the place to put a cake. non-cakers just don't get it...

cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:43am
post #6 of 40

icon_cry.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:03am
post #7 of 40

Did they pay you for this cake or was it a freebie? My guess would be freebie...sadly a lot of people don't value things they have not worked to pay for.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:19am
post #8 of 40

I would for sure make note of this to myself and vow to NEVER make a cake for them again. A cake is a work of art and a labor of my love. Sadly some don't understand what it takes for these works to be done. If it had been me I would have marched right over placed the cake on the table and moved everything else to the chair just to see how they like it. I also would have said it couldn't be like that and if you don't want it fine, I'll take it back home with me. It may be one of my moments but I know how this feels, I made chocolate dipped spoons with bride and groom cakeballs sitting on each spoon for my sisters wedding and they refused to serve them, left them inside "so they wouldn't melt" per they so I went in to get them and they were in the trash. I cried for days.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:30am
post #9 of 40

I am sooo sorry you were both so disrespected. icon_sad.gif There would definitely NEVER be a next time. People can be so rude and ignorant sometimes. (((HUGS))) icon_smile.gif Remember you are the better person and these people do not deserve your hard work and talent.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Did they pay you for this cake or was it a freebie? My guess would be freebie...sadly a lot of people don't value things they have not worked to pay for.

I was thinking the same thing!! I am sorry this happened!

rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 40

That's awful for both of you. I'm furious on your behalf. Butterfly, do you know who put your spoons in the trash? I hope you said something about it after you dried your tears. I agree with everyone. Cakes are not just flour, sugar and butter, they are baked with love.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 40

............If it had been me I would have marched right over placed the cake on the table and moved everything else to the chair just to see how they like it. I also would have said it couldn't be like that and if you don't want it fine, I'll take it back home with me.......

DITTO!! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm
post #13 of 40

Not me. I would have picked up the cake and left without saying anything. Let them wonder where we went.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 40

icon_confused.gif
Cupncake and Butterfly you should pm each other and exchange a list of names with the awful party goers who did this (especially throwing the spoons in the trash) ... no more cake for any of them! ... hmmm, one more thought on the spoon thing... were they tossed in a trash bag separated from other items? It is weird but there are folks who do such a thing, tie up the bag and fish it out later; a trick they probably learned in prison where all people who disrespect cake art should be placed.... okay, so maybe that is a bit harsh, or maybe my train of thought is due to lack of sleep..... maybe they could just be sent to cake jail.....
Again, sorry for your experiences.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 40

"Cake Jail" - I love it!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

This is so true! But I still think that is crazy to just shove the cake to the side. It's usually the centerpiece. And if it was a gift from you, I would have left with it like someone else suggested.

cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:53pm
post #17 of 40

I posted my picture of the minnie mouse cake, yeah, I gues it sorta was a freebie- I traded buiseness with the grandmother but really regret it cause well for one thing this but it was in exchange for her husband making me some shirts which I would have otherwise expected to pay $40.00 for and when she asked that I make a cake instead I thought maybe she wanted a dessert cake or something and I really like this family so I still argreed and now I know I shouldent have, never again will I do this, I got ripped off big time, it's not just the work but my reputation, I had another person who orderd a cake from me next month there and it wouldent suprise me if they cancelld because of this, it makes me look bad no matter what! I never got my shirts and its been 3 weeks, my husband says I shouldent have given them the cake but I wont do that to someone I knew was depending on it, I couldve done a half hearted sheet cake but I treated this as any other order, but I just dont feel it was appriciated, when the grandma picked up the cake I didnt even get so much as a "that came out nice" another thing, this cake was in my house for at least 4 hours, I moved it around and everything, no problems, it was perfect when I gave it to her, the cost to make this cake was around $70.00 (I had her pitch in $30.00) and normally I would have charged $180.00 for a cake like this, it's true people do value things more when they pay for them, I've had people pay up to $325.00 for a cake and appreciated it as if I had given to them

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 40

Okay, I just HAVE to say this, cause it has driven me crazy over the years on here to read this. NO ONE who orders you a cake needs to give you a compliment, EVER. DO NOT take not getting a compliment personally. Though I may thank the bag boy at the grocery store or the mechanic who just did my oil change, they aren't expecting a thank you or compliment. These are business transactions, period. Are they nice? Sure. Should you be getting one? No. You just need to be sure to get paid for that cake. icon_wink.gif

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Okay, I just HAVE to say this, cause it has driven me crazy over the years on here to read this. NO ONE who orders you a cake needs to give you a compliment, EVER. DO NOT take not getting a compliment personally. Though I may thank the bag boy at the grocery store or the mechanic who just did my oil change, they aren't expecting a thank you or compliment. These are business transactions, period. Are they nice? Sure. Should you be getting one? No. You just need to be sure to get paid for that cake. icon_wink.gif

I guess I was raised differently... I always thank everyone who helps me, even if it is just business and I paid them (ie, bag boy, mechanic, hair stylist), and if what the do is an "art" like cakes, hair, massage, etc, I always compliment a job well done. So yes, for better or for worse, I expect to hear SOMETHING nice if my work is appreciated... and if I don't hear anything, I worry that it was not appreciated, but that is probably because it wasn't. If you appreciate something someone does for you and never tell them, I think that is rude... but that is how I was raised.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 40

Okay, I just saw the picture of your cake and these people are definitely sentenced to cake jail for ruining that precious cake. Shame on them. That cake was adorable and anyone that would treat someone else's hard work with such disrespect should never be allowed to have cake ever again -- EVER!

Sorry this happened to you.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

............If it had been me I would have marched right over placed the cake on the table and moved everything else to the chair just to see how they like it. I also would have said it couldn't be like that and if you don't want it fine, I'll take it back home with me.......

DITTO!! icon_smile.gif

I can't be the only one here who thinks this reaction would make YOU look like the a-hole in any type of social gathering...

I think what they did was totally rude, but never in a million years would I stoop to that level and make myself look like I'm throwing a tantrum over the cake, especially since it sounds like this is a childs birthday. That is no place for an adult hissy fit. I totally agree, don't ever make them a cake again. LOL but it is best, IMO, that you didn't fly off the handle.

cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:

You just need to be sure to get paid for that cake. icon_wink.gif

I didnt get paid for the cake icon_cry.gif my point for saying that is that it wasn't in the slightest bit appreciated, from not getting my shirts to not even mentioning it was nice to throwing on a chair, all bad, and I agree with Rheacakequeen, I was also raised to say thank you, it's polite, and the only reason I wont is if it is total crap, and let's face it we all like a little pat on the back for a job well done icon_wink.gif

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:

NO ONE who orders you a cake needs to give you a compliment, EVER....These are business transactions, period.

I totally agree with this as well. Yes, praising good work/service/etc is the proper thing to do in any case (and I ALWAYS do), but the reality is that not all people feel that way. A lot of people feel that their payment is praise enough. Expecting anything from customers outside of what is necessary to complete a business transaction is only setting yourself up for disappointment. If someone is too rude to say thank you or tell you what they like about your work, that is just too bad for them. I'm sure they get just as much as they give.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 40

I'm the professional baker in the family and was asked two years ago to make a cake for my brother-in-law's birthday by another brother-in-law who was throwing the party. My brother-in-law's girlfriend also made a homemade cake for his birthday. I left the cake I made in the garage refridgerator until after the party and took it back home with me. I was mad I wasted my time and money on the cake but I didn't want to upstage the other cake. I no longer make cakes for the brother-in-law who threw the party.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:25pm
post #25 of 40

Oh this is such a maelstrom of emotions for everyone! I have been selling my cakes for about 18 months and have learned very quickly that not everyone has the time, manners or forethought to thank me for my efforts. But sometimes my manners fly out of the window and I forget to thank people for their services, although I have been brought up to do so.

At the same time no-one has ever complained about a cake they have purchased from me. Sometimes they quibble about prices and if they are not prepared to pay my prices fair enough, they go elsewhere.

When I first started it was mainly friends that bought the cakes and they were always praising me. I know this was to encourage me and they still do - bless them. However I now have a lot of customers who I don't personally know. Some of them thank me and some of them don't! It's a quirk of human nature I have learned to live with. If they don't complain I can only assume they were happy!

I am attending some events later in the year for which I am creating the cake! If it's shoved into a corner out of sight I will just have to deal with it!!!! But I certainly will not be asking why as I am certain if they are not happy they will let me know why! Although us cakers tend to think our cakes should be the centre of attention, other people do not always feel the same no matter how much they pay for it! My ego is learning to live with this!

CP xx

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupncake1

Quote:

You just need to be sure to get paid for that cake. icon_wink.gif

I didnt get paid for the cake icon_cry.gif my point for saying that is that it wasn't in the slightest bit appreciated, from not getting my shirts to not even mentioning it was nice to throwing on a chair, all bad, and I agree with Rheacakequeen, I was also raised to say thank you, it's polite, and the only reason I wont is if it is total crap, and let's face it we all like a little pat on the back for a job well done icon_wink.gif

I get that. Like I said, I say thank you to everyone as well. So I think I was raised right as well. But your getting paid or asked to do a job, not to be complimented or have your ego stroked. I always see on here "I spent so mcuh work and no response". Get over it. Your not entitled to one and that doesn't mean that person wasn't raised right. It means they paid you to do a job. And yes, you were paid for this. You exchanged services. Even though you haven't gotten your end of the deal yet, you still didn't do this cake as a gift. I gurantee you are going to have a lot more customers who pick up the cake without looking at it, hand you the money and go. Though I will always be stumped throwing it in the chair, but hey, I guess they thought it was okay. And seeing as how it is their cake, they can put it anywhere they want to. I guess my point in general is, we can't take things so personal when it comes to this business. Not everyone is going to appreciate our cakes as edible art, they just see a cake. icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #27 of 40

I do understand why your feelings were hurt.

That being said, you need to treat this as a business transaction. Try and take the emotion out of the situation (easier said than done, I know).

While it is of course nice to hear, never expect to be thanked. Also, what the client does with the cake once they take possession of it is up to them. If they want to wear it for a hat, that's their choice. If they come back later and complain about how it looks, you need to make sure you have taken pictures beforehand to show that it was fine when they took possession of it.

I would send this woman an email or letter reminding her of the business arrangement (use those words) that you agreed upon - the shirts for the cake. Tell her you expect a date that you will receive the shirts by and that you expect them within a timely manner (a week, a month, whatever). Politely tell her that if she does not hold up her end of the deal then you will be sending her an invoice for the full amount of the cake.

In the future, make sure you have a signed contract spelling out ALL of the details.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 40

Sorry, but she was AT the party she made the cake for and it was being treated like a bad afterthought.

It was an adorable cake and should have been front and center on the table. Which is what I would have done. When I make a delivery I ask where to put the cake and make sure it's given it's proper due. If I had seen MY cute cake shoved slanted on a chair, I would have picked it up and made room for it on the table. If someone had asked me what I was doing, I would have said, 'this can't sit on a chair without ruining it, so I'm putting it where it's more stable'. No apologies or questions to anyone...just do it. I'm sorry you had to learn a hard lesson here. Although I think I would keep on them about your trade, and when and if it's done, you can complain to her about the shoddy workmanship.

Oh..and when I present a cake to someone I expect a response. Period. Good, bad, whatever, I ASK if they like it. I've never done a cake for someone that I've done, or when I worked at a bakery, that they didn't say something about it. How cold to present something like a decorated cake and just hear nothing! Here's your money, and leave. Nope, doesn't happen because I won't let it happen. Ask. Better to hear if there's a problem when they pick it up rather than later.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

...you need to treat this as a business transaction. Try and take the emotion out of the situation (easier said than done, I know).
I would send this woman an email or letter reminding her of the business arrangement (use those words) that you agreed upon - the shirts for the cake. Tell her you expect a date that you will receive the shirts by and that you expect them within a timely manner (a week, a month, whatever). Politely tell her that if she does not hold up her end of the deal then you will be sending her an invoice for the full amount of the cake.

In the future, make sure you have a signed contract spelling out ALL of the details.

I couldn't agree more, I'd send the e-mail asap.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Oh..and when I present a cake to someone I expect a response. Period. Good, bad, whatever, I ASK if they like it. I've never done a cake for someone that I've done, or when I worked at a bakery, that they didn't say something about it. How cold to present something like a decorated cake and just hear nothing! Here's your money, and leave. Nope, doesn't happen because I won't let it happen. Ask. Better to hear if there's a problem when they pick it up rather than later.

Sorry but this is irrelevant to the point about expecting a compliment. A response is not a compliment, and that you ask for it changes the dynamic. That you ask is great, you get some kind of feedback which is good. This does not mean one should expect to be complimented at the end of a business transaction.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a compliment if you expect them every time -- then they are just pro forma and not much to excited about. Simply because someone says thank you does not mean much if they are saying it just to say it.

As to why they put it on a chair -- who knows. Maybe they did not believe they had space for it on a table. As unfortunate as it is, they did pay for it--it was an exchange even if uneven--it is theirs to do with as they please. The recourse is simply to refuse to do business with them in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%