Need Help With Toy Box Cake

Decorating By CakesByRashmi Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 10:46am by CakesByRashmi

CakesByRashmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRashmi Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:06am
post #1 of 5

hello fellow cakers,
I need help to make a toy box. I mostly need help with the lid since I plan on making it half open with toys peeping out. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:14am
post #2 of 5

are you wanting the lid to be cake?

CakesByRashmi Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 10:22am
post #3 of 5

Not at all, I don't mind covering a piece of board with fondant if need be, but wanting to know if anyone else has any ideas they could share.
Thanks

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 5

When I did the covers for these boxes I used a sugar cookie covered with a thin layer of cake then covered the whole in fondant. I cut the sugar cookie to the shape of the cake, but made it a little thicker than usual. I chilled it really well before baking and it hardly spread at all. I trimmed it while it was still warm. My cake layers were cut from a sheet of cake baked in a jelly roll pan so the layer that went on over the cookie was about 1/2 inch thick. I put buttercream between the cake and the cookie and covered it with fondant as usual.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2010_12_12_archive.html

This one is a piece of foam core cut to size and covered in fondant. If I was to do it again I would go to the cookie simply because I prefer as much of my work to be edible as possible.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2010/12/un-gateau-de-chocolat-couvert-en.html

HTH

CakesByRashmi Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:46am
post #5 of 5

Oh my, I love your cakes and what a brilliant idea. Will surely try to implement it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%