German Chocolate Cake Filling -- Suggestions Needed

Baking By augurey Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 6

Next Saturday (07/23) I'm making a German Chocolate Cake and cupcakes for my boyfriend's parent's anniversary (well, this is the flavor catered to his dad -- I'm making another flavor to cater to his mom).

After searching the recipes, I did find a few German Chocolate filling recipes (the evaporated milk/coconut/pecan/etc) which I do plan on using as the icing.

For the cupcakes, I'd like to do a filling, but not so sure I'd like to use that, and I honestly have no idea what flavors would work well. Does anyone have suggestions/recipes for something I could use as a filling?

Also, as this filling/icing that I already have a recipe looks rather messy and I'm not sure how well I'd do working with it (nothing I've ever worked with other than maybe a canned frosting when I was a teenager), is there a Buttercream recipe that well compliments German Chocolate cake or one that is similar to the filling recipe but more or less buttcream consistency? (if that makes any sense...)

After extensively searching, the only results I'm really finding is the Pecan/Coconut filling recipe.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 6

I'm planning to try this for my banana cake in the next couple of days, so I can't vouch for it yet, but by the looks of it, I'm thinking it's gonna be delicious! Im also planning to try folding some of the caramel into some PW Rich's Bettercreme and see if it makes a mousse type of filling icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6851/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling

augurey Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I think I may try that. It does sound delicious and like it would go well with the German Chocolate.

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

I read you original post again and if I understand correctly, you are planning to use a traditional pecan frosting to ice the cake with? If so then I think I'd rather use a light milk chocolate mousse filing instead of the caramel filling since the pecan frosting is caramel flavor too. I think the mousse would be a better pairing. Pecan frosting is heavy so the mousse would compliment it. But that's just my opinion. Plus the mousse would be a great filling for the cc icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 6

If you are making a German Choc Cake, use the icing in between all the layers and then ice the sides with a chocolate icing. I did this at the request of a client and it tasted wonderful. I made buttercream and then added melted semi- sweet chocolate squares.
evelyn

augurey Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

I read you original post again and if I understand correctly, you are planning to use a traditional pecan frosting to ice the cake with? If so then I think I'd rather use a light milk chocolate mousse filing instead of the caramel filling since the pecan frosting is caramel flavor too. I think the mousse would be a better pairing. Pecan frosting is heavy so the mousse would compliment it. But that's just my opinion. Plus the mousse would be a great filling for the cc icon_smile.gif

Tbh, I'd rather not use the traditional pecan frosting to ice, but so far I haven't been able to find anything else.

As far as mousse goes, I've tried to make a mousse filling before (back in December), and it just didn't turn out right. Do you know of a recipe that would work well (back then I was more clueless than now, but still)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

If you are making a German Choc Cake, use the icing in between all the layers and then ice the sides with a chocolate icing. I did this at the request of a client and it tasted wonderful. I made buttercream and then added melted semi- sweet chocolate squares.

For the actual cake, I'm doing a mini tiered cake so I wouldn't be able to do layers as it'd be just one solid piece.

I know Baker's has German Chocolate squares, so I'm wondering if I could make my usual buttercream and add the melted German Chocolate squares and the maybe use the traditional icing/filling as added decorations or just do something with that instead of completely icing it on it. Or even just decorate with chopped pecan's and/or coconut flakes. Or do you think the melted German Chocolate would be too much and just go with the chocolate?

Then for the cupcakes, I can either do the caramel filling or a chocolate mousse -- then either do the German Chocolate Buttercream or the icing/filling. Though I'm not sure how to ice cupcakes with the icing/filling, so I feel like a buttercream would do better.

Thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%