Discouraged With Cutting Images With Silhouette

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 12:26am by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 5

I bought the Silhouette a few weeks ago and have been trying to get used to it. I understand there is a learning curve, but I seem to be stuck somewhere near the bottom of it. My problem is that I cannot cut any intricate shapes whatsoever. I purchased the machine and classes from Linda McClure and followed her gumpaste recipe and instructions to a T. When I go to cut(after letting it rest overnight) all the intricate shapes tear completely. I can get the big non intricate shapes just fine. I played with the blade length and even tried it with fondant mixed with a little tylose (it cut the shapes better but they were so flimsy when I tried to remove them, they just streched out. Does anyone have any insight or tips??? Very much appreciated!

4 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:50am
post #2 of 5

Lori,
Since you bought the DVDs from Linda McClure, are you able to contact her (via email) to ask her for help? I've never used your machine, so I have no advice to offer.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 5

Contact Linda, she will gladly help you. She is a great lady, it is probably something small

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

I bought the Silhouette a few weeks ago and have been trying to get used to it. I understand there is a learning curve, but I seem to be stuck somewhere near the bottom of it. My problem is that I cannot cut any intricate shapes whatsoever. I purchased the machine and classes from Linda McClure and followed her gumpaste recipe and instructions to a T. When I go to cut(after letting it rest overnight) all the intricate shapes tear completely. I can get the big non intricate shapes just fine. I played with the blade length and even tried it with fondant mixed with a little tylose (it cut the shapes better but they were so flimsy when I tried to remove them, they just streched out. Does anyone have any insight or tips??? Very much appreciated!

This might help.
http://creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/2010/10/perfect-cut.html
I use the paper method all the time. I find that the gum paste sticks to the paper and I get great cuts. In fact, I can roll fresh gum paste ( I roll it out to #7 or 8 with my Kitchen Aid Mixer ) let the gum paste rest for about 20 or 30 minutes and then apply it to the paper using shortening. I use the paper as my carrier sheet. This method works great. If you have any problems contact Linda. She is the go to person for this method.

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for your responses. Today, after trying many different techniques I got my best cuts yet. I did Linda's gumpaste on heavy paper. Got it nice and thin and then put that in the freezer for 15 min and voila, got some good cuts! Every time I put them on a carrier mat it would slide. For me, I think the paper works like a charm! I will continue to play around and try to perfect it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%