Ganache Too Expensive?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm by FromScratchSF

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 12

I've enjoyed working with ganache under fondant, but does anyone else find it way too expensive (versus basic BC) to use!? I am very small-time, so everything I buy is retail, plus, using "cheap" white chocolate I've read is a bad idea (i.e. candy melts). I usually use large bags of white chocolate chips (usually just Nestle) because they're even cheaper than white chocolate bars per ounce.

Is there a BC recipe that firms up enough or at least close enough to ganache to use under fondant? Has anyone done a cost analysis/comparison of using ganache vs. a firm BC?

Thanks!

11 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 12

I've never put ganache under fondant, so I can't speak to that. But I do put a generous layer of american buttercream. I refrigerate before I cover, so I have a nice firm base. I have bout chocolate before, so I know that it's expensive. Butter ain't cheap but it's sure cheaper than chocolate and cream. icon_biggrin.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 12

What recipe do you use for ABC? I'm going to go look at your cakes now icon_wink.gif

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 12

Why not charge say 50 cents more per serving if they want ganache versus buttercream? A white chocolate buttercream is also very delicious but you would also want to charge more for that.

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcobbler

Why not charge say 50 cents more per serving if they want ganache versus buttercream? A white chocolate buttercream is also very delicious but you would also want to charge more for that.

Oh Yum! Would you mind sharing your recipe for that and is it a crusting bc? I pretty much use Indydebi's bc for everything, but I'm always open to trying new things, especially when they sound yummy icon_biggrin.gif
TIA

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 12

Ohhh, I want the recipe for the white chocolate BC too! Please PM me it! I guess I could see ganache being a tad more than BC for big cakes. I like to use the extra special BC recipe here on CC, I think it's pretty firm and very yummy.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 12

I'm afraid you won't find anything in my pics since I'm terrible at keeping up with anything. LOL But you can check out my website www.gimmesomesugarcakes.com I use 1C. Salted butter, 1C. Hi-Ratio, 2lbs. Powdered Sugar, 1 Tbs. Vanilla, and milk to desired consistency. It gets super hard in the fridge and the fondant goes on really easily. Just give it a spray of water so the fondant has something to stick to. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you so much for sharing!!

@Madcobbler: is this basically a mix of BC and white chocolate, to get the hardening effect of the chocolate?? Thanks for the idea. Any suggestions for/links to recipes? That seems like a good compromise. Also, I'm really not at the point yet where I let my "customers" decide icon_biggrin.gif Most of the people I bake/decorate for are friends or acquaintances who don't really know what they are talking about LOL! It's really my choice, as to what I feel will turn out best.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #9 of 12

My buttercream is on par with my choc ganache, most likely a little more expensive due the fact that I use Danish Lurpak that costs close to $5 per 250gms. I refuse to compromise with the quality of butter... Lurpak makes the most supberb tasting buttercream icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:27am
post #10 of 12

Question, if you are selling cakes why are you paying retail for your ingredients? I can get a 11 # box of high-quality Guttiard chocolate for less then $15. It's less per pound then the butter I use. My advice to you is to find a restaurant distributor ASAP and work on getting your cost of ingredients under control!

Good luck,

Jen

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:02am
post #11 of 12

Hmm. I only used ganache. I find it way easier and takes less time to prepare. I guess that should be noted as well when pricing.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 12

Oh and yes, SMBC/IMCB chill rock hard like ganache and is the same to cover in fondant, you van manhandle the cake pretty good and get super sharp corners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%