7.15.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm by GarciaGM

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:11am
post #31 of 49

Thanks GarciaGM, spiced rum - will have to try that one next time - sounds great.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #32 of 49

I have the cakes baked for my nephews coiled snake cake he wants. Anybody have any ideas on how to carve it to make it look realistic. I have 2-6 in 2-9 in and 2-8 in cakes(in the oven baking) and I have to do a carved tree stump too. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

pammm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammm Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #33 of 49

I just finished a Harry Potter birthday cake for a 21 yr. old girl. LOL love it! I'm pretty excited for her mom to see it because I was able to make Harry Potter fly! He's suspended in mid air on his broomstick! I just love it when you have an idea and it actually works...lol!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #34 of 49

I finished two cheesecakes for a rehearsal dinner this evening. What a relief to make just a normal dessert rather than some car, truck, football, fish, etc. novelty cake. I did decorate the cheese cakes with a poured chocolate ganache topping and fresh raspberries so they did look festive.

The three tiered wedding cake and separate sheet cake for tomorrow's wedding are all torted, filled with strawberry, lemon and mango mousseline and frosted with BC. I'll stack at the venue and put on the umpteen hundred gumpaste flowers. And then I swear I'll never make a square cakes again.

I don't know why these were so difficult for me. The cake corners are weak, Torting and restacking was a nightmare. luckily, the crusting buttercream covers a multitude of sins so I think the whole thing will be fine tomorrow.

Also in my favour is the fact that the reception will feature a full open bar and I get the distinct impression that the wedding party and the guests will be making full and early use of it. And...this may be the closest thing I'll get to a big fat gypsy wedding! (no offence intended to travelers out there)

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:46am
post #35 of 49

Cakes are torted, filled & settling (OH...how I love my Agbay!)

I think I have created a controlled substance. The 2-tier cake is "tuxedo" with alternating layers of vanilla & chocolate cake. The plan was for a simple whipped ganache filling. I made a batch w/Belgian dark choc that I had on hand but kept the ratios loose so I could whip it--it seemed way to soft so I chilled it a little and then added a can of Dulce de Leche caramel. OMG--It whipped up so fluffy and yummy. The caramel didn't completely melt into the ganache so every now & then you get a strong caramel taste with the dark chocolate.

Kristy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:56am
post #36 of 49

KJ6, that does yummy!
I'm packing this candy buffet. And I still have work to do on the cake. The fondant patch is taking FOREVER to dry.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:00am
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I made a batch w/Belgian dark choc that I had on hand but kept the ratios loose so I could whip it--it seemed way to soft so I chilled it a little and then added a can of Dulce de Leche caramel. OMG--It whipped up so fluffy and yummy. The caramel didn't completely melt into the ganache so every now & then you get a strong caramel taste with the dark chocolate.

Kristy

Kristy, this sounds wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #38 of 49

Just finished one 3 Tier baby shower cake and have to crumb coat a 6" and cover 5 4" squares for another shower. I'd do it in the morning (wait...it is morning...LOL icon_lol.gif) but I have to wait for my mother who has to wait for the landscaper to come...well...at least I can sleep in a little bit. Back to fondanting...as soon as I can talk my body into getting out of this comfy chair

leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:30am
post #39 of 49

This fondant patch is driving me nuts. Of course I just tried messing with it again.

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #40 of 49

I german chocolate cupcakes for my dad. They were gooey, and ugly, and delicious.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:38am
post #41 of 49

I just delivered a couple dozen cupcakes to the mid shift cops here on base icon_smile.gif

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:56am
post #42 of 49

Trying to finish a 6/10 square 2 tier wedding cake for my friends daughter. They have the wedding scheduled for 8:45 in the morning tomorrow! So I have to leave by 6:30 am to get there on time.

going to be a looooooooong day...

leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:14am
post #43 of 49

A breakfast wedding?!?!

I would not be looking forward to that.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:29am
post #44 of 49

Nitey-Nite Ladies,

Hubby decided he would rather play Mario Kart with the kiddos than work on his project. I was able to crumb coat all my tiers and finish the flowers for the 2-tier cake.

FYI: The Filling

16oz dark chocolate
about 10oz heavy cream w/vanilla extract & some coffee for a total of 12oz

Chopped chocolate, melted it in the hot heavy cream, wisked until smooth. Let it stand all day.
Chilled slightly, whipped it.
Added 1 can of Nestle Dulce de Leche (I find it in the Hispanic food section of Walmart). Whip it good icon_wink.gif
Die in Choco-Caramel Heaven.

Time to put my feet up & download something new to the Nook. (and try to stay out of the leftover ganache in the fridge)

Kristy

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:56am
post #45 of 49

No cakes for me tonight. I am officially on vacation until August 14th on the cake side of things how ever my other job that makes me the pay check I don't leave it until the 27th. icon_smile.gif

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:08am
post #46 of 49

Good morning Friday night cakers,
I'm kinda in a buttercream HELL right now, I have a two tier birthday cake for my neice and nephew for tomorrow, and I cannot get my buttercream to crust enough to smooth it out, its driving me crazy, I used a different brand of butter than I normally do, I'm thinking that is the problem, my icing tastes great but it's not drying...ugh!!! I still have to make popcorn cupcakes for the party too, luckily I have everything a go, for them, I just need to bake the cupcakes..snipped the marshmallows while I was at work today, made the wrappers and icing already... Any suggestions on how to get my buttercream to dry enough to smooth, I usually use viva with a fondant smoother..

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:28pm
post #47 of 49

klangl, don't know if you're still working on this, but I had similar trouble last weekend because of the horrible humidity here. I turned my AC thermostat down a couple of degrees and sat a fan in front of my cakes. It helped a lot. Good luck!!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:20pm
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

klangl, don't know if you're still working on this, but I had similar trouble last weekend because of the horrible humidity here. I turned my AC thermostat down a couple of degrees and sat a fan in front of my cakes. It helped a lot. Good luck!!

Thanks, for the info, I finally got the cakes to crust enough to smooth some, not exactly how I would have wanted them, but since they are for kids they won't care.. I am still up working on the cupcakes now. The Party is @ 11:00, so just enough time to finish up and shower and get to the venue.. Sleep will have to wait until later...

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #49 of 49

HA!! Just be thankful there's an opportunity for a shower!! Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%