Cricut Cake Worth It?

Decorating By mollysuzie Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 4:08am by icingimages

mollysuzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollysuzie Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cricut cake machine. I own the Cricut Expression and love it for scrapbooking. For those of you that own one or have tried one....what is your opinion on the Cricute cake machine? Thanks in advance!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:18am
post #2 of 12

I am sorry that I purchased anything at all from ProvoCraft. It is not the sort of company that I prefer to do business with.

Try the Silhouette.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:23am
post #3 of 12

I have one and hardly ever use it for cakes, but I do mostly wedding cakes. I know people who do more special occasion cakes than I do who use theirs a lot. It does have a learning curve, though, some poeple never get it to work right, it takes trial and error to find how it works best for you. It's not as easy as the infomercials make it look.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 12

I agree with both Leah and Costume. I have a cricut cake and use it for lettering and "bulk" items like circles, squares, etc. I love that I can roll out the gumpaste and it does the work while I am doing something else. I like the cartridges because I can just plug them in and go, and the way I use it, I only need a handful of cartridges that I get online for about $20 each. There is a cricut cake mini that is available at JoAnn's that you can get on sale for about $100, so that might be a cheaper option.

I never heard of the Silhouette until a few months ago, so I don't know much about it except you can make your own images. I have Linda McClure's DVDs and it seems like it takes some time to get your own image ready to cut (please correct me if I am wrong), so it's great if you want to match an invite, fabric, etc, but to me seems time consuming for some more common items, but again, I don't have any personal experience with the machine. I am considering purchasing one, but I need to do some more research before I buy a second cutting machine.

And yes, there is a learning curve... definitely not as easy to use as it appears to be, unless you are using the frosting sheet (in my experience).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 12

The silhouette isn't hard to use and don't need the expensive cartridges. With make the cut software you can cut any image you want. Check out Linda McClure's youtube videos for step by step instructions. Frosting sheets are much easier then fondant or gumpaste. icingimages is coming out with colored frosting sheets at a much lower price then wilton and their customer service is awsome. Like anything else there is a learning curve to both of them.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 12

There was all this stink about the original cricut not being food safe, that is why they made the cricut cake. What about the Shilouette? Do they have a "food safe" version or is the regular ok?

leah_s - do you use it and do you find lots of uses for it? Just wondering if it is worth investing in!

Thanks
Stephanie

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 12

The only thing that touches food is the mat and blade. Linda food safe blade and I use flexible (cut to size) cutting mats from the dollar store.

mollysuzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollysuzie Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 12

I am not familiar with the Sillouhette, but also cosidered getting an edible image printer. I'm just not sure what to do!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysuzie

I'm thinking about purchasing a cake machine. I own the Expression and love it for scrapbooking. For those of you that own one or have tried one....what is your opinion on the Cricute cake machine? Thanks in advance!

I use mine pretty much daily....it has been a big asset for me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 12

For me the cricut is a big, expensive paperweight. I only use it to cut flowers from wafer paper. But those turn out pretty cool.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 12

It 's really a matter of preference. I haven't tried other machines but I love my cricut Is there a way you can do a demo or try someone else's before you buy it. That's what I was able to do & it has gotten me out of sticky jams. I really love. I didn't know other machines where out there when I got mine.

So if you can try before you buy maybe that will help & also the other machines mentioned here on this forum, because my experience is not going to the same as your experience. Check out the return policy in case you get it & it doesn't work out for you.

HTH.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:08am
post #12 of 12

If you are able to go to ICES you will be able to see Linda demo the silhoutte in person. It is a great machine and Linda gives great service to her customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%