Some One Please Help!! Mmf

Baking By SweetDelites Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 1:30pm by SweetDelites

SweetDelites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelites Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 14

The last two times I've made MMF it has cracked, and will not hold at all. I've made it in the past and it's been fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Does the brand of marshmallows make a difference? Could some one send me a good recipe for MMF. I have 2 orders in the next couple of weeks.

THANKS ALOT!!!!!!

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 14

Is it hotter/more humid in your house than it was when you made the successful batches?

I've found that the brand of marshmallows doesn't matter, but the sugar does, sometimes. The walmart brand doesn't work for me.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 14

When my fondant cracks, I add glucose until it's smooth again. Works every time.

sarahoward85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahoward85 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 14

I've actually needed some help w/ MMF also. I've tried making it on more than one occasion, and I've never been happy w/ the end result. It sticks to everything, and does not hold its shape well at all. I also had a lot problems w/ it tearing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried adding more sugar but that didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 14

Adding glucose to the mmf dough it's a must u will be supriced how change it makes I do add until feel it's good and easy to spread out

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 14

Sheer GENIOUS!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I came on here about 30 minutes ago absolutely disgusted because I was having MMF issues. I had made 30 lbs. of it about a month ago planning to use it for some display cakes. I got busy with one thing after another and did not get the display cakes done before I went on vacation. So, today I decided to see if the MMF was still any good. I kneaded and kneaded, added more shortening, and kneaded but no matter what I tried it was grainy and would not get smooth. I figured I was going to have to throw all 30 lbs. of it out . So, that's when I took a break and came on here and read this thread. After reading it, I figured what did I have to lose so I went and added glucose to it. Voila!!!! It came together amazingly smooth like I had just made it yesterday. I was able to cover my tier in a matter of minutes because it was so smooth.

You all ROCK!!! thumbs_up.gif

SweetDelites Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks to everyone.I will try and see if it works for me. If not, I'll be back.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 14

I use Macsmoms recipe here on cakecentral. It includes glycerin in the recipe. It's always worked perfectly for me.

SweetChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChica Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 14

What's the difference between glucose and glycerin? Some use glucose and others add glycerin.

TIA.

artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 14

They're two different things. glucose is a simple sugar, like fructose. I've never heard of it being available commercially in the US, though it may be. Though I think Canada, Austrailia and the UK call corn syrup glucose (I could be wrong on that one.) I don't know what it's purpose would be in fondant other than to moisten it without having to add water.

Glycerin is a viscous (slimy) liquid, not sticky. It is usually found in most other fondant recipes. The purpose of it is to provide stretch, pull and moisture to the fondant.

SweetDelites Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the help everyone. So, now I have a new question, I went out today and got glucose. I was so happy to try it, got home & read the ingredients to only read CORN SYRUP, after paying $6, I'm wondering if I could have used my light corn syrup I already? icon_confused.gif Has anyone used light corn syrup instead of glucose?

artscallion Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #12 of 14

See my post right above yours. Glucose is corn syrup. I'm actually wondering if people aren't saying glucose when they mean glycerin. I could be wrong, but I can't see how corn syrup/glucose would solve the problem you're having. Maybe I'm wrong and the others can chime in. I'd be happy to know that because corn syrup is a lot cheaper than glycerin too! icon_biggrin.gif

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:29am
post #13 of 14

i have a question, when i make my mmf it comes out good, but color is more of a off white and i'm getting ready to do a wedding cake and would like it to be really white any suggestions?

SweetDelites Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14

I added glucose to my MMF and its better. I haven't put it on the cake yet, but it isn't breaking apart when I handle it. The cake test is coming soon, cakes due Friday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%