1 Or 2 Layers Of Fondant/ready-To-Roll Icing???

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm by TexasSugar

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I'm making a 4-tier wedding cake for a friend next month and am after advice on getting the perfect finish...
I've iced many cakes before but never a wedding cake and in one of my books, the author says you should always cover a cake in two layers, either marzipan/icing, chocolate plastique/icing or 2 layers of icing to get the finish really great. The cakes are all sponge so marzipan would be gross and I am a little worried about 2 layers of uber-sweet icing!

The cake is very minimalist meaning the icing will be on real show so if anyone could give me some professional advise, I'd be really grateful!!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

Generally you need something under the fondant that smooths out the cake to begin with. If you were to just put fondant over a 'naked' cake, the seems where the two layers come together would show. So that is why it is suggested to use something, so you have a nice smooth area to start with.

I'm not sure where you are located. In the states people usually use a thin layer of what ever buttercream icing they like best or a layer of ganache under fondant.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, sorry...still filling in my profile! I'm in the Uk. Generally I've always used a layer if buttercream to fill any little holes and act as glue...in the book she suggests using an apricot glaze which I suppose wouldn't be as forgiving...?

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

That's interesting... when I do my cakes, I always crumb coat a layer of frosting first, let that refrigerate until it's completely set, then do a generous layer of frosting on top of that. In my mind that would be the "two coats" - although in terms of thickness it's really only one coat under my fondant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

I figured you were in the UK, because you don't often see people use marzipan here in the US.

If you fill in the holes with your buttercream and have a smooth layer to start with you are fine. I'm thinking she is talking about using the apricot glaze as a glue for the fondant to stick with.

Hopefully some fellow UK-er's will chime in for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%