Anybody Else A New Baker Or Beginner Baker?? Chat With Me!

Decorating By theCword Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm by johnnyling

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 33

Hello! I'm sure there are more out there than just me, right? I'm new. I've baked cakes here and there for fun. I love trying new recipes.

My first big cake is coming up and I have NO idea what I'm doing!!! It's for my nephew's 1st b-day coming up in September and it's going to be a themed party. I do plan to start some Wilton classes coming in August. I'm excited about them!!

I love it here so far but I'm pretty lost when it comes to abbreviations and have to look them up. Anybody else?

It's cake overload but it's also exciting to learn. The cake that is coming up will most likely be a 3 tier cake and I have NO clue about stacking, SMS, and all that jazz.

Just wwanting to call out any newbies! icon_biggrin.gif

32 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 33

I'm not exactly a newbie, but a hobby baker. I only make 6-10 cakes a year and have taught myself everything I do by constantly stalking this site and LOTS of trial and error. Youtube has lots of great tutorials and the people here are very helpful with suggestions, ideas, and tips. Good luck on your first big cake and remember that it's supposed to be fun!

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 33

Hi and welcome! I'm a hobby baker for a couple of years, so only do a few cakes here and there for friends and family. I've learned with a class at my local community college which I think was similar to the Wilton classes at Michael's hobby stores. I've learned different techniques on here thru photo/video tutorials and also by watching many you tube videos. Just google the technique you might be interested in and bunches pop up. The best thing to do is remain patient and learn from any mistakes you make or by listening to others here. This has been a great website thus far for me. What you can't find here I am sure that one of the fellow CC members will be able to direct you where you need to go. And just simply have fun with it!

deedee1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee1120 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 33

Hello! I'm a hobby baker but still consider myself a total newbie. My advice would be to read as much as you can because the cakers on Cake Central are all pretty awesome. There is a ton of information on this site! Making cakes for an event (as opposed to just doing it for fun), can be completely terrifying so I wish you the best of luck. Make sure to practice before you actually do it but so many things can happen especially when you are a new decorator!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 33

Appreciations: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Check out this thread for links to information on stacking and more...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 33

Hey! I am somewhat new as well as a hobby baker. I took all of the Wilton courses but that was about 5 years ago and so much has changed!!! I also find myself looking up a lot of abbreviations. I will say that I love this site and am so glad I joined. Everyone on here is so willing to share their knowledge. Anything you want to know ask on the forum and someone will reply. Good luck with your cake. Can't wait to see it.

LadySiren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadySiren Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 33

OMG, I'm such a newbie I'm almost embarrassed to be here. icon_lol.gif

A dear friend of mine who is a hobby baker convinced me I too, can bake and decorate a cake. She's coming over next week to help me with a topsy turvy I'm baking for my three daughters, who are having a huge birthday party. After reading tutorials, looking at pictures, and checking out tools and supplies, I'm starting to think this might just turn into a new obsession for me. The husband doesn't know whether to be happy or sad about this, LOL.

I've already gotten some great advice from these boards so I'm very glad I found my way here. icon_smile.gif

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 33

I would definitely check out the you-tube videos, or you can just "search" any topic and I can pretty much guarantee that there will be something available to teach you. I remember when I was doing my first wedding cake and needed to know about how to stack it, I just searched it and learned from there. And the cake didn't topple over! Best of luck

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 33

Hey there! I made my first cake this past march and had so much fun decorating it that I now consider this a hobby. I bake about 2 cakes a month for family and I bake cupcakes and specialty cakes every wednesday. I still have so much to learn! I learned a lot from the wiltons course 1 (completed in may/2011)and now I'm starting on course 2. My biggest advice for you is to look at dozens of pictures! Develop a plan of what you want to do and prepare everything before you start. Also, do the cake in stages. My daughters birthday cake was my first big cake and at first I was overwhelmed so I took it step by step. Baked on Thursday and crumb coated the same day, Friday I finished icing and stacking, Friday night I worked on decorations and Saturday the day of her party, I added all the final touches and used a steamer to make everything shiny. Private message me if you ever want to discuss your ideas.

theCword Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 33

Thanks for helping me feel welcome and that i'm not alone.

Yes, youtube has been my friend for makeup, soccer, and now cakes! icon_lol.gif

I will definately practice. I need to practice my buttercream and mmf. I haven't decided which I want to use yet. I love BC but have yet to put my hands on fondant. We shall see...

LadySiren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadySiren Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

Thanks for helping me feel welcome and that i'm not alone.

Yes, youtube has been my friend for makeup, soccer, and now cakes! icon_lol.gif

I will definately practice. I need to practice my buttercream and mmf. I haven't decided which I want to use yet. I love BC but have yet to put my hands on fondant. We shall see...

I'm going to try MMF with this cake since my family is finicky about taste (I just don't think even the best commercial fondant is going to go over well). I have a design sketched out and will be using the baseball stadium method (see the CC tutorial on topsy turvy cakes), along with the SPS. My biggest fear is that I somehow mess up getting the cake covered. I just keep telling myself that if it looks weird, we can just say it's in keeping with the Wonderland party theme. icon_biggrin.gif

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 33

Hi,

I too am new on here. I did a decorating course that was done over just 12 hours. I have been addicted ever since. I recently made my first wedding cake. I was nervous but it looked amazing. I have always used fondant. I only use butter cream as a filling. If you need any help then please inbox me and I will help as much as I can. I love making sugar flowers so if you need any help please ask. icon_biggrin.gif

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 33

I am a self taught hobbyist baker, I have made my cakes for my childrens' birthdays and friends birthdays for years.. I am in the process of making my first wedding cake this weekend, this is my biggest cake yet!! I have learned alot from this site and of course Youtube is my friend icon_smile.gif How did we ever live without that? haha..

I have been working with MMF for a few years now.. I decided to try out Michele Fosters Fondant and let me tell you it is pure heaven!! It tastes very good, just like buttercream frosting, and I love the consistency of this fondant, its not as elasticy as the MMF.

Another thing I recently started doing is making the WASC. I have seen it on here for awhile, but have usually either made my cakes from scratch or used a straight, non-doctored cake mix. I will never go back to either of those two options after trying the WASC. So far I have made a white, strawberry and french vanilla versions and they are all delicious and oh so moist!!

I have a lot of things to learn, most of all patience.. I find myself trying to rush through alot of steps becuase I am so excited about the end product, but I have to learn to pace myself.I find this place so helpful, and there are so many talented cake artists on here, I could only wish to make cakes as beautiful as thiers!

Nice to *meet* you!!

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 33

LOVE IT!! I'm a hobby baker as well, and make cakes for friends and family. I am still a NEWBIE! I've loved to bake for years, but it's only since about January this year that I've gotten serious and tried to decorate nicely. And I might add, I still have a TON to learn about baking. icon_wink.gif Nice to talk to other newbies !!!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 33

First of all, WELCOME!! You found the right place! I love it here because everyone is very generous and helpful.

I am a hobby baker also, I have been at it for almost 3 years. I started with a Wilton class which got me hook into cake decorating.(I LOVE WILTON , but) ... : do not buy everything Wilton! There are some things that are good and most others that are a waste of $$$$$$, Their new MOLDS are very good, the small leveler is good (small cakes only) Do not go crazy like me, buying all kinds of icing tips! Before making a purchase, get inform about the product.
I hope no one gets upset with me for my opinions. icon_confused.gif
Enjoy your new hobby! I do, I like to make people happy.

Good luck
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 33

Hi to all the Newbies! I, too, took a Wilton class just because I felt I was becoming boring. My life consisted of everybody's life but mine. There was nothing about ME any where. I suddenly found that I actually enjoyed...and stressed...over the cake baking. It was like nervous therapy! I am learning so much each time I bake. I have to force myself to step outside the box and try new things and CC has really helped me to branch out. When my oldest son started school, I didn't even know how to make cupcakes and guess who became the room mom?! LOL Now my husband wants me to stay away from the grocery store and never mention cakes in the classroom because everyone wants one - budget has been busted with this hobby on several occasions! Stacking and transporting still terrify me. I have a lot to learn. CC just feels famliar now - the members have certainly come to my rescue on many occasions. Hubby thinks I'm becoming addicted! Happy baking and I hope any and all will pm me if they think I can be of any help!

theCword Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 33

Woohoo! Awesome that there's several of us and all with the same enthusiasm!

Rpaige- funny you mention budget! I spent way too much on this last cake I tried to make but the ending was worth it to me. Nervous Therapy is the perfect description! Maybe it's an adrenaline rush? I don't know but I get so stressed but in a therapeutic way.

Soledad- I have taken that advice because I keep seeing it here. I won't be buying (unless it's clearance or something) anything I don't need just yet. I have a cupcake stand and some plastic tips that didn't fit my bags ready to go back because I don't need them. I just wanted them!

Awilder- The cake recipe you mentioned is one I have yet to try. But yes, everyone keeps talking about it on here... will have to try it!! Is the Michelle Foster Fondant on CC?

Tracie- I will be PMing for sure, thanks for the offer! I want to taste the MMF one of these days to make sure it's yummy. I'm excited to make it!

Jessiescreations- I have looked at tons. I'm pretty sure of the cake I'm going to make. I'll send it to you. It's one that I saw on here but I'll put my own touches to it.

Thanks for all that responded, especially about having fun with the cake.
What I need to do is break it down, find out what I need, what method, and how to do it. Then just start researching each topic 1 by 1. I keep thinking SMS, MMF, BC, WASC, tips, Filling, etc.. because I'm excited but I just need to start on 1 thing and go from there!!!

So do all the newbies have a stand mixer? That's my biggest temper tantrum lately, that I WANT 1 NOW! So far, I've just used my hand mixer and it's worked but I'm ready to go up to the next level. thumbs_up.gif

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 33

Hey there icon_smile.gif

I would still consider myself a newbie. Everything I've done is in buttercream, so I've yet to mess around with fondant.

I actually started baking with baking bread. And while bread baking has it's own challenges, I wanted something that required various techniques and abilities. Not that bread doesn't but cakes are a bit more involved. The only thing with bread, is that it's a bit cheaper.

But as far as stand mixers go, I have a sunbeam, and it works alright, but I would really like one with a paddle attachment rather than beaters. It's kind of like a glorified hand mixer LOL!!

I was like you, I wanted to do it all and it was hard to force myself to take things one step at a time. It still is hahah!!

Welcome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 33

Since you mentioned the abbreviations, the ones that have a dotted underline in posts have the definition there, if you hold the mouse over the word.

I've never taken any classes. There's so much info available online that you can learn how to do almost anything you want to do on your own. I've been decorating cakes as a hobby for about four years now, maybe five...with a year off in the middle because I didn't feel like doing cakes after I moved. Now that Texas has a cottage food law, I'm planning to start a business in September.

There's so much info on CC that it's almost overwhelming if you try to take it all in at once. I usually focus on one thing at a time. I didn't see the Melvira method in your list to check out, but it's a great way to smooth buttercream.

When you're buying tools, it's easy to get carried away. I think the most important tools are an offset spatula and a turntable...start with those and then add on as you need things. Sign up for emails from Michaels and they'll send you coupons. I usually wait until I have a coupon to buy cake tools.

One thing I wish someone had told me when I was first starting out was to buy Americolor gel colors, and not the Wilton colors. Americolor doesn't leak and the colors are usually more vivid. They sell them at Hobby Lobby and at the cake decorating shops.

Oh, and don't obsess about stand mixers icon_lol.gif You really can manage without one at first.

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 33

Klutzy-baker- I started with baking bread also! It's so much cheaper to make and I think if I ever open a storefront I will also sell all types of bread. So yummy!

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiesCreations

Klutzy-baker- I started with baking bread also! It's so much cheaper to make and I think if I ever open a storefront I will also sell all types of bread. So yummy!

That's so cool! icon_smile.gif My boyfriend always told me that we should do something like that and sell "breads of the world" hehe!!

I was kind of obsessed with the Tangzhong method with making a water roux and was making tons of baked buns filled with azuki bean paste.

Nice to find a fellow bread baker icon_smile.gif

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 33

The KA mixer is on my wish list but Santa Baby has said NO. Funny, the two John Deere tractors were a YES but not a mixer!!!

I have managed to do just fine with my hand mixer and even an old Sunbeam that is probably 30 years old! Neighbor loaned me her KA while she was on an extended vacation and I loved it! Since baking is my ministry only, there are no funds to support a lot of supplies - although my baking closet would dispute that fact.

I have spent money on trying to stay organized with plastic bins and labels which has been helpful. The cake supplies are all small and easy to lose or much too easy to simply dump in a bin because it is quick when you're tired! I have tried to do better in that area.

I love my decorating turntable the best. I also enjoy the Melvira method of smoothing bc. It is challenging to be a Newbie but kind of fun to see our personal progress with each cake! We need to inspire each other!

Junebugsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junebugsgirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #23 of 33

I have only been baking/decorating for less than a year now, but it quickly became an obsession - especially once I found CC!

It all started with my niece who decided she wanted (HAD TO HAVE) a Wizard of Oz cake for her 4th birthday party. Well, one cake turned into three cakes for one party. I managed to pretty much tell the entire Wizard of Oz story on three cakes. CRAZY!

Since then I have done lots of practicing and giving away of cakes to friends and family for any and all celebrations that they could come up with.

I just did my first wedding cake last weekend. Talk about nervous!! But I got to try out so many cool techniques that it was totally fun! The Bride and Groom loved it so I couldn't have asked for more than that. Of course as I sat looking at it, all I could see were the things that I could have done better icon_rolleyes.gif I guess that gives me a reason to do another one - practice makes perfect.

sheilas_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilas_sweets Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:45pm
post #24 of 33

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie too...in fact this is my very first post. I've been caking for a few months now and I've read and learned so much here. There is so much information and so many great ideas that I get overwhelmed at times.

I haven't taken any of the classes but I plan to because I would really like to learn how to use the decorating tips to make flowers, etc. I started out with fondant and have tried a couple of recipes including MMF, which seems to be my favorite so far.

I also plan to start a small business in September and it's right around the corner.... I still have so much to learn, but I'm really excited.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:23am
post #25 of 33

Hi ya'll! I started baking 1 year ago and feel that I am right at that border between newbie and intermediate decorator. I make about 2 cakes a week and recently people who I don't even know call me to make a cake. The biggest temptation for newbies is supplies, supplies, supplies! I speak from experience, just wait until it goes on sale. I have 2 KA professional series mixers, over 150 tips, 46 pans, all kinda of cake sets, expensive fondant/gumpaste tools and most recently 2 refrigerators. Sure, it got out of hand a bit but I told myself I needed it! I also took the all 3 Wilton classes and several buttercream/stacking classes. The best investment I ever made was buying the ALL of Sharon Zambitos DVD's. They are worth the money. My husband thinks I checked them out from the Library for an extended period of time. Have fun baking!
Fedra

MommyLovesChocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyLovesChocolate Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:25am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

Hi ya'll! I started baking 1 year ago and feel that I am right at that border between newbie and intermediate decorator. I make about 2 cakes a week and recently people who I don't even know call me to make a cake. The biggest temptation for newbies is supplies, supplies, supplies! I speak from experience, just wait until it goes on sale. I have 2 KA professional series mixers, over 150 tips, 46 pans, all kinda of cake sets, expensive fondant/gumpaste tools and most recently 2 refrigerators. Sure, it got out of hand a bit but I told myself I needed it! I also took the all 3 Wilton classes and several buttercream/stacking classes. The best investment I ever made was buying the ALL of Sharon Zambitos DVD's. They are worth the money. My husband thinks I checked them out from the Library for an extended period of time. Have fun baking!
Fedra

I love it! That totally sounds like something I would do. I love to bake, and have been baking breads for a couple of years. We have several bakeries in my area that make gorgeous cakes, but they all tend to look alot better than they taste, so I decided to get more into the cakes instead of wasting money on so-so cakes. I'm starting the Wilton classes next month and of course I've already bought a way too many toys to get ready.

I'm so glad to hear about those videos.... very tempting icon_biggrin.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:17am
post #27 of 33

Fedra... your buttercream and swirls are beautiful!! I went into your gallery! I have been into cake decorating for 2 1/2 yrs and I am not even close to your level. I can finally smooth out the buttercream, but can not make anything else with it icon_cry.gif That only thing I can make with my tips is the grass thing tip and any size star. That is why I prefer to work with MMF, for my cookies and cake.

I would like to learn how to make bread, but for now I will sharpen my skills as a cake decorator. I sure need to get an extra bowl for my KA, an airbrush, some new Wilton molds. My family have it very easy with me, whenever they have to get me a gift they give me MICHAELS gift cards!!!!
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CIAO

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:23pm
post #28 of 33

Soledad: Thank you so much for your nice humbling comment! There is still so much to learn but patience and practice are my best ally. I swear by Sharon Zambitos DVD. That woman changed my buttercream life!
Fedra

theCword Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:49pm
post #29 of 33

I just read the entire SPS thread. Yowzas! My eyes are>>>>> icon_eek.gif

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm
post #30 of 33

I'm a newbie. No matter how much i read, or practice, there is wayyy more out there for me to experiment with and get better with. I love coming to this site. so much info at your fingertips. amazing. anyway, welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%