Uk Kitchen Regulations, Any Ideas??

Business By evans000 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm by cakesandfaces

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Guys, i would love to have my kitchen registered (is that the correct term?) i live in the UK and wondered if anyone has done this and how to go about it......also one problem we have a dog!! I would love to NOT have to bake the cakes at home but cannot afford to rent somewhere to bake them having 2 young children at home. Our kitchen can be a closed off room with a hall then leading to a dining room where the dog is kept.

Any help and advice would be great


2 replies
idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Helen,

Not had any experience myself with pets, but I think from what I've seen on here, it will be ok as long as they are not allowed into the kitchen. In order to get your kitchen registered the first thing you need is a Food and Hygiene certificate Level 2 - which you can do online for around 30 pounds - google it. Then you call up the Environmental Health dept of your local council and speak to them about your dog and whats else is involved, it is usually just a matter of sending in the form and waiting for an inspection. HTH.

cakesandfaces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandfaces Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 3

I've just been through this process. I have already completed my food hygiene level 2 last year as I also work at a childrens centre. I then called up my local council and asked for registration form. You need this to be able to set up as a food business. I would also go on and either phone or email to order Safer Food Better Business pack. You will need to work through this pack and fill in the sections needed you don't need to do the whole thing only that which is relevant to your business. Oh and you need to register at least 28 days before starting your business.

Once your registration form is back they will then contact Environmental Health. They have two ways of doing an initial check and seems to depend on where you live. Mine made an appointment and came out to visit me, asked me about food storage (must be seperate from household food stock), when/how you clean, what you clean with, no-one else is allowed in the kitchen apart from those registered and completed the food hygiene course with your business.

When they come out they will rate you and the cleanliness of your kitchen (rest of house doesn't matter as it's not where you cook and decorate in), right down your fridge model and check it's at the right temperature. They will ask a lot of questions then they will give you your score right then and there, if you score badly they will tell you the areas you need to work on. They will then tell you when you can start your business mine said I could start right there and then.

Good luck on your venture and try and get all the paper work going as soon as it took a good couple of months to get the point that I could actually start trading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%