Quick Cake Ball/candy Melt Help Please!

Decorating By tullicious Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 11:44pm by tullicious

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 6

I have my first really big cake ball order for tomorrow. I rolled all my cake balls yesterday. I started melting my candy melts today and it's just not right. I usually use a different brand melts, but I got Wilton on a special so I got a bunch. I contacted Wilton and they said they are within the good use by dates, but it's pretty thick. I used the shortening to thin it and it's just not thinning. I've done a bunch of cake balls in the past and the chocolate has always been drizzly and perfect. I'm guessing this is bad chocolate. I've opened three of the bags I bought. I went to grab some more at our Walmart, but of course they were out. The craft stores are pretty far away. So I grabbed some almond bark. Question.... have you used, or would you use the almond bark to dip the cake balls? Do they taste as good? Or do you suggest I make the trip to the craft store to get the candy melts???? Thanks for advice!

5 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know where you live but I am in New York. I recently also bought a number of wilton melts in several colors and they were so thick and gloppy, I didnt even like them when thinned out. But the straight chocolate no coloring was fine. I was thinking it was related to the colored melts. I never used almond bark - sorry. would you use white chocolate chips tinted or just chocolate? sorry its for an order! good luck!

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

On my last cake balls, I used vanilla almond bark. I'm not sure if it was just me, but it seemed like it was sweeter than if I would have used Baker's (my usual). But it was also the white/vanilla almond bark, so maybe that was the problem? (White chocolate, imo, seems sweeter)

Otherwise it melted nicely and was easy to use.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 6

Bark is def sweeter. The colored melts are really white chocolate. They are very temp sensitive. It sounds like your melts got too hot. When they're too hot they get thick.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 6

I usually use Wilton and it does tend to be quite thick. It has NEVER been "drizzly" for me. I have to add quite a bit of shortening to thin it. I have mixed the almond bark and Wilton melts together (I don't really like the taste of the almond bark by itself) and still have to add quite a bit of shortening. Even with all the shortening I add it doesn't get "drizzly" but it does bring it to a consistency I can use.

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 6

I kind of thought the almond bark wouldn't be as good. I actually picked some up to try and I didn't like it as well. I ended up driving and going to get more candy melts. I got more Wilton bags and this time they did well. I know the others didn't get too hot. I'm always careful and only micro on low power for short intervals. Thanks for all replies. I guess I just got unlucky with the ones I bought previously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%