First Impressions Baby 1

Decorating By Kew13 Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm by Yeni131

Kew13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kew13 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I am in need of some help, I am very new to cake decorating and have offered to do my nieces christening cake, I brought a baby 1 first impressions mold, I havent used it yet,But I was wondering what is the best thing to use in it and is it easy to use... i dont want to pop out and alien.
Also I was wondering what to colour the baby in, and whats the best and realisic colours to use and buy. etc.

Hope you all can help me.

thank you

Katy icon_sad.gificon_redface.gif

3 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 4

I just use fondant (peachy colored for caucasian babies) mixed with a little tylose. Press it into the mold then freeze for about 10 minutes the "pop" the baby out. I'm not much of an artist but I've seen a tutorial on here for painting your baby after. Here's the tutorial:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/683/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-baby-with-mold

Hope this helps!

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4

This is the tutorial I used...
http://cakecentral.com/articles/683/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-baby-with-mold.
The is also a good one on youtube.
As far as color goes, I use ivory with a little bit of copper but you really need to play with that on your own.

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 4

I am a newbie too. I have done 3 babies using the mold. My first one was the best one coz I used a lot more extra fondant/gumpaste mixture.

First color your 50:50 gumpaste/fondant, a little bit at a time until you get the skintone you want. I used the colored fondant ( light brown and pink) you can also use copper and ivory. The amount of your fondant/gumpaste mixture should be about 2oz or the size of your mold.

Roll it into an egg and make it very smooth. It is very important not to have unnecessary wrinkles coz it will show in your baby's skin.

For the rest of the steps, follow the tutorial. icon_smile.gif I have used cocoa to color the hair if you dont have the petal dust.

I have a picture of my baby and the cake in my pictures. I did it for my nephew's dedication.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%