Iggle Piggle Cake Please Helllllp

Decorating By suzied Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 8:37pm by awilder

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 9

Can some one help me please. i need to make this cake for my nephew, can you tell me how i can make this background, the blueish parts. i dont have an air brush so thats out, any other tips most welcome. i will be doing it in butter cream (only butter not shortening) is it powder colour, gel, etc

8 replies
suzied Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 9

http://www.flickr.com/groups/945826@N25/discuss/72157623384337619/
(Mod edited to provide working link.)

This is the pic that i am talking about. Thank you.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 9

I also don't have an airbrush, so I would knead together fondant in different shades of blue and not completely mix it. The effect will not be exactly the same, but you could get it close.

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 9

If you are using a crusting buttercream then you could dust it with a soft brush and petal dust. Otherwise perhaps you could fill a couple of bags with the darker shades and swirl them through as you cover the cake with White.

That seems more complicated on paper than in my head so I've probably been as clear as mud. Hope it helps anyway.

Yours aye
Puss

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 9

I just realized that you asked about buttercream...NOT fondant...Sorry...I think I'm going to need a second cup of coffee to get this morning going icon_smile.gif

suzied Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:19am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your tips, more welcome. i wish i new the person who made this cake and asked them. shall give the petal dust a try or even light blue luster dust a try.Tried the swirls of light blue butter cream, mmm ok, but still doesnt look like the picture. thank you once again for your prompt response

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:36am
post #7 of 9

You might be able to use the spray on colors by Wilton. I have never used them but they seem to be the closest thing to an airbrush I can think of...HTH
You can buy them at Michael's but I put the amazon link below just so you would know what product I was referring to. It comes in a variety of colors.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VZPIQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

suzied Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:43am
post #8 of 9

The blue spray on, i was told was a bit too dark for the pic. that was my first choice. thanks anyway. i have never used them. wonder if any one else has used it and got a very fine, light spray.

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

Just a suggestion, but if you cant find the supplies to do the airbrush technique, you could always just ice the background in solid blue and pipe on some textured clouds. That is a cute cake.. my 2 year old LOVES In the Night Garden! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%