Harry Potter Cake... Edible Images Perhaps? Help! Ohio

Decorating By rissi7426 Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm by cakegroove

rissi7426 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #1 of 14

Hi! I am trying to make a harry potter cake for thursday...Yes, I realize that this is totally last minute, but I only just thought of this a few hours ago...I would like to make some sort of harry potter cake...I am definitely more of a beginner since I haven't done any special or more elaborate cakes in years and even that wasn't that amazing...lol...anyhow. I really just wanted to do a red velvet cake with an edible harry potter image, but no bakery or store will print one up for me because of the licensing issue. Any thoughts on what I could do? Or any cool H.P related cakes I could make...if they are a bit more complicated i don't mind trying them...I'm sure I could always get some help from my friend if needed! Any ideas at all are welcome! we will proceed from there. Thanks so much in advance

13 replies
augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 14

What about a frozen buttercream transfer?

I was thinking about doing one of these just for fun for Thursday/Friday. It'll give me a reason to practice my frozen buttercream transfer.

There also might be some kits out there that gives you HP toppers -- such as the Quidditch ones?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:39am
post #3 of 14

You can do the edible sheet..I had a local cake supply shop print mine...the didn't even question it. I just took a printed copy of the book cover (that I had printed) and they copied it for me. I don't know if that wrong or not. I've seen several other cake with the same cover on them... or you could print it yourself onto edible paper and put a fondant backing on it and then put it on the cake...that way the printed picture is not touching the cake.

rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:41am
post #4 of 14

frozen buttercream transfer? I am not going to lie...I have never heard of such a thing? Is it fairly simple?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:49am
post #5 of 14

The book cover would be an infringement.

rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:01am
post #6 of 14

I'm just making this for myself and friends...it's not being sold. I don't think that would really make it a copyright infringement if I'm not making a profit?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:38am
post #7 of 14

There are so many posts on this subject. The infringement has nothing to do with compensation. It is still a violation.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:19am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissi7426

frozen buttercream transfer? I am not going to lie...I have never heard of such a thing? Is it fairly simple?

CC Article on Frozen Buttercream Transfers:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

Other tutorials:

http://sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm

http://cakestylist.wordpress.com/2007/04/03/superman-cake-frozen-butter-cream-transfer-fbct/

FBCT videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+do+a+frozen+buttercream+transfer&aq=6m&oq=frozen+butt

HTH

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 14

I'm sure you could find an edible image on line to purchase

rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 14

JanH thanks for those links...I looked it up yesterday too. i do vaguely remember seeing my grandmother do this few years ago. It is definitely something I want to try!

rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 14

cakegroove...you can buy them just unable to get them in time.

I think I am just going to do a fondant book cake...But I am feeling very lazy and am short on time so I think I am just going buy the fondant. Lol...I have never used store bought fondant though, any thoughts on it? any specific brands that are better?

cakegroove Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 14

I prefer Satin Ice. Easy to work with and tastes better

rissi7426 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 14

where can i get that? michaels?

cakegroove Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 14

Maybe? I have a cake supply store I buy my cake supplies from. I think Hobby Lobby & Michaels cater to Wilton mostly, which I will only use their products in a pinch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%