How Many Layers Of Cake Should I Use For Each Tier On A Cake

Decorating By jettabug27 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 9:56pm by CakeandDazzle

jettabug27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jettabug27 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 11

i am a new baker and i have decided to make my sister a 3 tier birthday cake for 18th birthday. i have already came to the conclusion that i am going to use a 12 in cake for the bottom tier, a 9 in cake for the middle tier, and a 6 in cake for the top tier. the only problem i have is that im not really sure how many layers of cake i should use for each tier? icon_sad.gif somebody please help...any suggestions????

10 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 11

For tiered cakes we typically use 3 layers in each tier, but if you wanted shorter tiers you could use 2 layers instead.

FYI that cake will probably serve around 75 people.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

Two 2" tall layers are typical, but you can use as many as you like that equal 4 inches if you're going for typical, or more layers if you're going for another look... keep in mind that you need a support system for every 4" of cake height.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 11

i do 2 just about 2in cakes cut in half for each tier, so 4 layers cake 3 layers filling

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

i do 2 just about 2in cakes cut in half for each tier, so 4 layers cake 3 layers filling

Ditto

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 11

Interesting responses...we've found that 4" tall tiers tend to look a little skimpy. We still do 2 layers for party cakes but for wedding cakes our tiers are closer to the 5" range.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 11

Same here, Two X 2" cakes torted = 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling/frosting for each tier. And yes....make sure you add support as mentioned above!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 11

Mine would probably a little taller than 4in. I torte both layers and have three layers of filling, which adds a little height.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Interesting responses...we've found that 4" tall tiers tend to look a little skimpy. We still do 2 layers for party cakes but for wedding cakes our tiers are closer to the 5" range.

Once my cakes are torted and filled each tier is almost 5" as well.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

This is also what I do.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Mine would probably a little taller than 4in. I torte both layers and have three layers of filling, which adds a little height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%