Crumbless Cake - Advice Please

Baking By Tfaye Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 6:17am by Tfaye

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

Every time I make a cake it always has so many crumbs. I was wondering if it has something to do with greasing and then dusting the pans with flower?

If I just grease the pan and not dust it with flower will the cake stick? If it doesn't stick will there be fewer crumbs? I feel that if I just grease the pan the crust will be very hard.

I'm very new at baking so I'm not sure what to expect. So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tammy

3 replies
Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 4

I use cake release. Requires no flour. Cakes are still crumby by nature but the part of the cake that was inside the pan doesn't come out hard or crusty. I let it cool a bit and just flip the pan over and let the cake come out using its own weight. I've never had trouble with it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 4

I use Baker's Joy spray and never have crumbs. I usually trim the crusts off of the cake before I frost it though, and I brush the cut surfaces with simple syrup before I frost them, to keep the crumbs from coming up in the frosting. You can make the syrup really easily...just put 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil, then let it cool and apply it to the cake with a basting brush. You can flavor the syrup too...I get rave reviews when I add rum or amaretto to the syrup.

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:17am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your replies. I'm goin to try both Baker's Joy and Cake Release and see which one works best for me. Also, the syrup sounds like it would work well when the crumbs are real bad.

I hate those crumbs. I had to really work hard at getting the crumb coat to smooth out on the last cake I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%