Oh My Huge Difference

Decorating By platinumlady Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 1:55am by Coral3

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:24am
post #1 of 12

1st let me say I went to the 4 course Wilton class & am now a WMI ... I went to one of my bakery supply stores & they didn't have all the wilton color gels I wanted icon_surprised.gif so I decided to go ahead and get ameri color gel.

One of the colors I got was super red. Not only did I not have to use a lot of it...I took a taste test and it was not bitter. It was still sweet & actually really tasted good. I used to be die hard Wilton everything...and I see myself going away from most of their products ... just keep in stock what I teach with. I am now a super fan of Ameri color gels icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

11 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:27am
post #2 of 12

I was so happy when my hobby lobby started carring a few of the colors, I agree totally, love the fact a few drops and done oh and no messy toothpick stuff either. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:49am
post #3 of 12

And i was thrilled when they arrived in Australia.
So vibrant - so crisp are the colours - love them.
Bluehue.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:09am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

oh and no messy toothpick stuff either. icon_smile.gif

Oh yes not having to run across the kitchen to get toothpicks I also love that part icon_cool.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:32am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

oh and no messy toothpick stuff either. icon_smile.gif

Oh yes not having to run across the kitchen to get toothpicks I also love that part icon_cool.gif

Blue giggles @ that - 'cause she remembers.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 12

I love them too, especially because they sell bigger bottles in the popular colors and you can measure the amount put in to match the colors if needed.

stephanie

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 12

They are so great! The colors are so vivid! and they don't leak all over my drawer like the wilton ones!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 12

Totally agree...Americolor is the way to go for vibrant colors without using a lot. I haven't gone back to Wilton since my first bottle of Americolor.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 12

Agree! I love Americolor!! Wilton does not compare!

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 12

Did you see that someone else posted there is an Americolor sale today on Prepared Pantry ? The small bottles are being sold for $0.59, and can buy 6 at a time (I placed three separate orders! icon_smile.gif )

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafO

They are so great! The colors are so vivid! and they don't leak all over my drawer like the wilton ones!

icon_surprised.gif It's not just mine that decide to magically form leaks? It doesn't seem to matter how tightly I screw on the lid, and then rinse of the outside just in case, there are always ones leaking in my little plastic drawer.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #12 of 12

I've tried some of the Americolor gel colourings and found them quite liquidy...I had to use quite a bit to get the desired colour, so by the time I got the shade I wanted the fondant was very soft. Plus some of their purple shades fade really badly, despite many claims I've read on here that they don't fade like Wilton. I'm not convinced that Americolor is all that much better than Wilton, although I do like the convenience of being able to squirt a few drops rather than grabbing for the toothpicks every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%